MBF-05LM2 Gundam Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue
The Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is an upgraded MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame developed by the mysterious organization known as Librarian Works. The unit first appeared in the photo series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray. It is piloted by a Carbon Human copy of Rondo Gina Sahaku.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Build upon the damaged MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame, the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is a MS specializing in super close range combat. It existed as simulation data for some time but was not immediately manufactured due to its dangerous performance which even Coordinators could not handle. Gina could only pilot it after his body had undergone some experimental modifications.
In terms of armament, Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue retains the two head mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS, two beam sabers, beam rifle, shield and the VPS equipped "Amenohabakili" katana used by MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame. However, the Anklet and Bracelet Swords are replaced with "compact swords", sets of smaller claws-like swords, and two "Fin Rifles" (equipped with Geschmeidig Panzer) and "Saber Fangs" are added respectively to its shoulders and back.
Although the Mirage Frame Second Issue also retains MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame's special Mirage Colloid system, its transformation system has been altered. While it usually appears in Tyrant Mode, the Mirage Frame can switch to Brute Mode by transforming itself into a beast-like Mobile Armor, similar to the ZGMF-X88S Gaia. In Brute mode, its maneuverability and mobility is incredibly high, making it almost next to impossible to be hit by projectile weapon(s) and barely allows opponent(s) to counterattack. The suit can also launch the "Brute Force Attack" while in Brute mode. This is a speedy attack that caused the enemy to have the impression he is being surrounded and attacked by multiple units.
- Beam Rifle
- The Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is equipped with the same beam rifle as Mirage Frame. It is used only when in "Tyrant Mode".
- Beam Saber
- Mounted on the back, only used when the MS is in "Tyrant Mode".
- "Ama-no-Habakiri" Katana
- A mobile suit-sized katana similar to the "Gerbera Straight" katana of the Red Frame. It is named after a magic blade of the same name in Japan. VPS is applied to this sword, allowing it to change its toughness and the ability to change colors. It also features data-gathering abilities, which are activated upon physical contact with an object. Information gathered from the cut object will directly affect the settings of the VPS, which will then be adjusted to guarantee a lethal blow with the next strike.
- Compact Swords
- The Compact Swords, or "C Sword" for short, is a pair of claws equipped on the hands (B-Type) and feet (A-Type) of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue.
- Fin Rifles
- Short range beam rifles mounted on the shoulders, they also contain miniaturized Geschmeidig Panzer system, allowing the beam fired to curve. They are only usable in "Brute Mode".
- Saber Fang
- Usable only in "Brute Mode". A pair of powerful beam sabers equipped on the back of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue which becomes the head in "Brute Mode".
- Mounted in the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles, although it is classified as Anti Air. The CIWS can however only be used in "Tyrant mode".
- Mirage Frame 2nd Issue can hold a single physical shield for defense in its left hand when in "Tyrant Mode". This is the same type of shield as used by Strike and Duel Gundam.
Special Equipment & Features
- Special Mirage Colloid System
- Unlike the mirage colloid system that is used by other mobile suits, the system used here is not for cloaking but used in conjunction with the VPS armor to alter the appearance of the suit, allowing it to disguise itself as other mobile suits.
- Melee-Combat Sensors
- Mounted in the Brute Mode's head, the sensors sacrifice long-range data gathering functions in exchange for optimum efficiency in close-range. Unlike Mirage Frame, Mirage Frame 2nd Issue do not need to be accompanied by another MS to remedy the weakness of this system. The suit in Brute Mode is fast enough to evade any possible ranged attacks.
- Mirage Colloid Sensor Antenna
- The protrusion on the head is a mirage colloid sensor antenna, this is an enhanced version of what is equipped on the Mirage Frame. The antenna can spread mirage colloid particles around the suit and through them sense the movement of enemy units nearby, even those that are cloaked can be detected.
After the defeat by Gai's MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, Gina ordered the upgrading of his MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame into the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue. Gina also had his body modified by Librarian in order to pilot it. Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's first battle was against the Nebula Blitz Gundams that was sent to stop Gina as his launch was unauthorized. The Nebula Blitz Gundams were helpless before the powerful "Brute Force Attack" and were easily defeated. Gina later met with ND HE who was sent by Prayer to accompany him. He subsequently figured out that ND HE was actually a Carbon Human clone of Gai and attacked him. The battle between Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue and Gale Strike fell into a stalemate as both sides were evenly matched. The match was later interrupted, first by Canard then by Gai. During the rematch with Gai, Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's "Brute Force Attack" was useless as Gina fell for his mind trick and was not able to fight properly. After another defeat by Gai, Gina returned to the Librarian's base and had Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue upgraded into 3rd Issue.
- In Episode 5 Story: Frenzy, the image of Gai's defeat by the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue was nothing more than Gina's imagination.
- It is unknown if Mirage Frame 2nd Issue retains the external connector of the original Mirage Frame as it is never mentioned in any material.