MBF-05LM2 Gundam Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue
The Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is an upgraded MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame developed by the mysterious organization known as Librarian Works. The unit first appeared in the photo series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray. It is piloted by Rondo Gina Sahaku.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Build upon the damaged MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame, the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is a MS specialising in super close range combat. It existed as simulation data for some time but was not immediately manufactured due to its dangerous performance which even Coordinators could not handle. Gina could only pilot it after his body had undergone some experimental modifications.
In terms of armament, Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue retains the two head mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS, two beam sabers, beam rifle, shield and the VPS equipped "Amenohabakili" katana used by MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame. However, the Anklet and Bracelet Swords are replaced with "compact swords", sets of smaller claws-like sword, and two "Fin Rifles" (equipped with Geschmeidig Panzer) and "Saber Fang" are added respectively to its shoulders and back.
Although the Mirage Frame Second Issue also retains MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame's special Mirage Colloid system, its transformation system has been altered. While it usually appears in Tyrant Mode, the Mirage Frame can switch to Brute Mode by transforming itself into a beast-like Mobile Armor, similar to the ZGMF-X88S Gaia. In Brute mode, it's maneuverability and mobility is incredibly high, making it almost next to impossible to be hit by projectile weapon(s) and barely allows opponent(s) to counterattack. Its attack in this form is also known as "Brute Force Attack".
- Beam Rifle
- The Mirage Frame 2nd Issue is equipped with the same beam rifle as Mirage Frame. It is used only when in "Tyrant Mode".
- Beam Saber
- Mounted on the back, only used when the MS is in "Tyrant Mode".
- "Ama-no-Habakiri" Katana
- A mobile suit-sized katana similar to the "Gerbera Straight" katana of the Red Frame. It is name after a magic blade of the same name in Japan. VPS is applied to this sword, allowing it to change its toughness and the ability to change colors. It also features data-gathering abilities, which are activated upon physical contact with an object. Information gathered from the cut object will directly affect the settings of the VPS, which will then be adjusted to guarantee a lethal blow with the next strike.
- Compact Swords
- The Compact Swords, or "C Sword" for short, is a pair of claws equipped on each of the knuckles (B-Type) and feet (A-Type) of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue.
- Fin Rifles
- Powerful blades equipped on the shoulders that can be used as both close combat weapons as well as long ranged weapon. They contain a pair of powerful beam cannons and GAT-X252 Forbidden's Geschmeidig Panzer is applied on the fins, allowing the beam fired to curve. They are only usable in "Brute Mode".
- Saber Fang
- Usable only in "Brute Mode". A pair of powerful beam sabers equipped on the back of the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue which becomes the head in "Brute Mode".
- Mounted in the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles, although it is classified as Anti Air. The CIWS can however only be used in "Tyrant mode".
- Mirage Frame 2nd Issue can hold a single physical shield for defense in its left hand when in "Tyrant Mode". This is the same type of shield as used by Strike and Duel Gundam.
- Special Mirage Colloid System
- Unlike the mirage colloid system that is used by other mobile suits, the system used here is not cloaking but for altering the appearance of the suit, allowing it to disguise as other mobile suit.
After the defeat by Gai's MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, Gina ordered the upgrading of his MBF-05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame into the Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue. Gina also had his body modified by Librarian in order to pilot it. Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's first battle was against the Nebula Blitz Gundams that was sent to stop Gina as his launch was unauthorised. The Nebula Blitz Gundams were helpless before the powerful "Brute Force Attack" and were easily defeated. Gina later met with ND HE who was send by Prayer to accompnay him. He subsequently figured out that ND HE was actually a Carbon Human clone of Gai and attacked him. The battle between Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue and Gale Strike fell into a stalemate as both sides were evenly matched. The match was later interrupted, first by Canard then by Gai. During the rematch with Gai, Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue's "Brute Force Attack" was useless as Gina fell for his mind trick and was not able to fight properly. After another defeat by Gai, Gina returned to the Librarian's base and had Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue upgraded into 3rd Issue.
- In Episode 5 Story: Frenzy, the image of Gai Murakumo's defeated Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise by the Mirage Frame 2nd Issue was nothing more than Rondo Gina's imagination.
- The Brute Mode of the unit has some striking resemblance to the ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam and the TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound.
- It is unknown if Mirage Frame 2nd Issue retains the external connector of the original Mirage Frame as it is never mentioned in any material.