The MBF-P05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame is a modified version of the MBF-P05 Gundam Astray Unit 5 and is developed by the mysterious organization known as Librarian Works. The unit first appeared in the photo series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray and is piloted by a Carbon Human copy of Rondo Ghina Sahaku. The "LM" in the suit's model number stands for "Librarian Mirage".
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Astray Mirage Frame is a strengthened and redesigned MBF-P05 Gundam Astray, the fifth prototype Astray unit, and incoporates combat data collected from Gundam Astray Blue Frame Third. Unlike the other prototype Astray units, Mirage Frame is equipped with Variable Phase Shift (VPS) armor instead of foaming metal armor and it is also applied to the exposed frame. The armament of the Astray Mirage Frame is quite similar to that of the other Astray units. It has two head mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS, two beam sabers, a beam rifle and a shield. It is also equipped with the "Amenohabakili" katana, which appears similar to the "Gerbera Straight" katana of the MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame but has VPS technology applied to it. Beside these weapons, the Mirage Frame is also equipped with a pair of physical blades known as "Bracelet Sword" on its forearms and a pair of folding triple claws called "Anklet Sword" on its heels.
An interesting equipment of the Mirage Frame is its special Mirage Colloid system, which is used together with the VPS armor to alter its appearance. Gina used this ability to disguise the Mirage Frame as Gold Frame. The main feature of the MS is that it is capable of transforming. While it usually appears in Commander mode, the Mirage Frame can switch to Gladiator Mode, its close combat form, by turning its arms, feet and head which has a pair of extra melee-combat sensors at the rear. The Anklet Blades and Bracelet Blades will also fold-out. Lastly, like the other prototype Astray suits, Astray Mirage Frame's backpack can be lowered to the back skirt armor, allowing the mounting of additional equipment on its back.
- "Igelstellung" 75mm Multi-Barrel CIWS
- Mounted in the Mirage Frame's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles, although it is classified as Anti Air. The CIWS can however only be used in "Commander Mode".
- Beam Saber
- Mirage Frame is equipped with two back-mounted beam sabers, which is mainly used when the MS is in "Commander Mode".
- Type 71 Beam Rifle
- The type 71 beam rifle is the standard ranged beam weapon of the prototype Astray units. The beam rifle fires an energy beam that is highly effective against most targets, such as mobile suits, but is less effective against targets designed to take beam attacks, such as laminated armor or shields treated with an anti-beam coating. The rifle can be used only when the MS is in "Commander Mode".
- "Ama-no-Habakiri" Katana
- A mobile suit-sized katana similar to the "Gerbera Straight" katana of the Red Frame. It is named after a magic blade of the same name in Japan. VPS is applied to this sword, allowing it to change its toughness and the ability to change colors. It also features data-gathering abilities, which are activated upon physical contact with an object. Information gathered from the cut object will directly affect the settings of the VPS, which will then be adjusted to guarantee a lethal blow with the next strike.
- Anklet Sword
- The Anklet Sword, or "A Sword" for short, is a pair of folding claws equipped on each of the heels. They are mainly used when Mirage Frame is in "Gladiator Mode" and have limited usage in "Commander Mode".
- Bracelet Sword
- The Bracelet Sword, or "B Sword" for short, is a pair of long blades with built-in beam cannons and supporting arms which are mounted on the forearms of the suit. They are mainly used when Mirage Frame is in "Gladiator Mode" and have limited usage in "Commander Mode".
- Mirage Frame can hold a single physical shield for defense in its left hand when in "Commander Mode". This is the same type of shield as used by Strike and Duel Gundam.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Connector
- A connector for attaching additional equipment to the back of the suit. It is similar in function to the hardpoint on the back of the Strike Gundam. The connector is exposed when the backpack is lowered to the back skirt armor.
- Melee-Combat Sensors
- Close-range sensors in the rear side of the head, they are used only when the suit is in Gladiator Mode. The melee-combat sensors sacrifice long-range data gathering ability in exchange for optimum efficiency in close-range. Since using the sensors will cause a significant decrease in sensing radius, it is rarely used if the Mirage Frame is not partnered with a MS capable of protecting it from range attacks (usually the Hail Buster).
- Mirage Colloid Sensor Antennas
- While the single antenna at the front of the head is used for communications, the two antennas at the rear serve special function. Usable only in Gladiator Mode, they can spread mirage colloid particles around the suit and through them sense the movement of enemy units nearby, even those that are cloaked can be detected.
- Special Mirage Colloid System
- Unlike the mirage colloid system that is used by other mobile suits, the system used here is not for cloaking but used in conjunction with the VPS armor to alter the appearance of the suit, allowing it to disguise itself as other mobile suits.
In CE 71, the Orb Union's Morgenroete corporation built five Gundam Astray prototype mobile suits at Heliopolis, the MBF-P01 Astray Gold Frame, MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame, MBF-P03 Astray Blue Frame, MBF-P04 Astray Green Frame and MBF-P05 Gundam Astray Unit 5, which were based on the five G Project Gundams that they assisted the Earth Alliance's Atlantic Federation in creating. They successfully copied the EA's beam rifle and saber technology, but Morgenroete did not have access to the Phase Shift armor design, and compensated this by making the Gundam Astray units lighter and more agile than their EA counterparts.
On January 25, CE 71, ZAFT's attack on Heliopolis to steal the Alliance Gundams also unknowingly interrupted the Astray Project. In order hide their progress, Orb's officials decided to destroy the Astray lab. However all Astray prototypes survived and fell into the hands of different factions. MBF-P05, which was not yet assembled, fell into the hands of the mysterious organization Librarian, who modified it into the existing model. With the rebirth of Rondo Ghina Sahaku by Librarian, this mobile suit was assigned to him. Later, the Mirage Frame is damaged in battle with Gai's MBF-P03R Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise and the Mirage Frame is significantly upgraded to the MBF-P05LM2 Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue.
Notes & Trivia
- The suit's name is probably a reference to the suit uses of mirage colloid and its ability to disguise as other MS.