Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by the Earth Federation Forces' Murasame Newtype Lab as a Cyber-Newtype-use machine, the Psyco Gundam also incorporated several concepts from the MSN-02 Zeong despite its Gundam-type appearance. At 40 meter tall, it is more than twice the size of a regular mobile suit. This is due to the sheer bulk of the Psycommu System, and the addition of features like a Minovsky Craft System, an anti-beam barrier as well as complex transformation mechanisms. Classified as a large Mobile Armor (MA), it can transform into a Mobile Armor mode that is also known as "Mobile Fortress Mode", and is capable of atmospheric flight thanks to the Minovsky Craft System. Plans for a "Mobile Fortress" in the base defense role were drafted after the One Year War.
The Psyco Gundam is entirely controlled by the Psycommu System, including its fire control system and operation. It is designed so that the pilot makes up a part of the system, so to speak. As it was designed to be used by Cyber Newtypes, the Psyco Gundam cannot be handled by normal humans as the psychological burden is tremendous and potentially fatal. The Psyco-Control System allows the pilot to control Psyco Gundam via remote operation when apart. Besides the superb defensive capabilities offered by the anti-beam barrier, the Psyco Gundam also has overwhelming offensive capabilities, and is armed with 3 diffuse beam cannons in its body, 10 beam cannons in its fingers, and 2 small mega beam cannon in the head. Two units were produced in total.
- Small Mega Beam Cannon
- Two small mega beam cannon is mounted in the center of the v-fin on the unit's head.
- Diffuse Mega Particle Cannon
- The Psyco Gundam has three diffuse mega particle cannons in the abdomen. They each emit multiple energy beams that can easily destroy an enemy unit in one shot.
- Beam Cannon
- The fingers of the Psyco Gundam each contain a beam cannon, for a total of 10 beam cannons. Each of these cannons is capable of doing serious damage.
- Used to protect the unit from ballistic and beam weapons. When in Mobile Fortress mode, the shield splits in half, with both halves being placed on the lower sides and stabilizing the Minovsky Craft System.
Special Equipment & Features
- Anti-beam Barrier
- The Psyco Gundam is fitted with an anti-beam barrier, granting it better protection against beam attacks.
- A Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts, through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind. In essence, a psycommu system works by passively scanning the brainwaves of newtypes, amplifying them in order to send the brainwave signal out long distances, and then translating these brainwaves into raw machine codes upon being received by the selected object with limitations. Since brainwaves are not affected by the radio interference property of Minovsky particles, at first it was mainly used to mentally control remote weapons via Minovsky Communication, usually mounted with a single beam gun. This enabled the resurrection of BVR engagements, with bits and funnels being the first weapons able to engage targets without visual contact since the development of the Minovsky particle.
- Psyco-Control System
- Installed in the Psyco Gundam unit 2, this system allows Four to control the unit externally via the Psycommu System.
- Minovsky Craft System
- In order to maintain mobility while in Mobile Fortress Mode, the Psyco Gundam is equipped with a Minovsky Craft System.
For more information on the Psyco Gundam's history, please go to Four Murasame's page.
Notes and Trivia
- Apparently, a non-psycommu variant of the Psyco Gundam makes an appearance in Turn A Gundam novel adaption. It was piloted by Guin Sard Lineford, who called it Black Doll. It also shows up in SD Gundam G Generation WARS, on Turn A Gundam-mission 5, when the player triggers Wars Break 2. This Psyco Gundam is piloted by Guin, and has all the abilities of the original Psyco Gundam (which may indicate that Guin during the trip to the moon awoke as a Newtype, however, it could be due to an oversight or gameplay restrictions). It is also piloted by Guin Sard Lineford in Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden as a boss do to Turn A Gundam being a large part of the story.
- Psyco Gundam's destructive pose is compared to the General Zeong's destructive pose.
- In the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam, during Kamille Bidan's "Four Alive" Route in Universal Century Timeline mode, Four can be seen piloting the MRX-009 Psyco Gundam during the mission "Inside Rosamia," which takes place on the surface of Axis. This is the only time that the Psyco Gundam is piloted in space.
- The name Psyco is likely meant as a double meaning: the correct term is "psyco" as a further shortening of "psycommu", but the two incarnations of the Gundam seen throughout Z and ZZ are infamously piloted by individuals tragically gone psychotic.
|∀ Gundam Mechanics|
AMX-109 Kapool | AMX-109 Kapool Corin Nander Custom | Armadillo | High Heel | MS-05 Borjarnon Gavane Goonny Custom | MS-06 Borjarnon | NRS-P701R Godwin | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | SYSTEM ∀-99 ∀ Gundam
Armored Car | Gun Emplacement Truck
Bull-One | Hipheavy
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
CONCEPT-X 6-1-2 Turn X | FLAT-L06D FLAT | G-838 Mahiroo | G-M1F Bandit | G-M2F Zssan | JMA-0530 Walking Dome | MRC-F20 SUMO | MRC-F31 Muttowooo | MRC-U11D Walking Dumpling | NRS-P701 Gozzo | SPA-51 Cannon Illefuto | SYSTEM ∀-99 ∀ Gundam | TAF-M9 Eagail
MR-SPI05Ω"Jet Stream" | MRC-C03 Bellona
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Almaiya class | Aspite | Gendarme | Soleil