The MRX-010 Psyco Gundam Mk-II is a transformable mobile armor that appears in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and its sequel Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. It was originally piloted by Titans' Rosamia Badam and subsequently by Neo Zeon's Ple Two.
Technological and Combat Characteristics
An improvement over the original MRX-009 Psyco Gundam, the MRX-010 Psyco Gundam Mk-II was also equipped with a psycommu and psyco-control chair to allow its Newtype or Cyber Newtype pilot to control this massive mobile weapon with mere thoughts. It also inherited its predecessor's ability to transform into a "Mobile Fortress" mode as well as the Minovsky craft system for atmospheric flight. The Psyco Gundam Mk-II was however more energy efficiency and more deadly, it has a a greater amount of weapons that have higher power ratings, despite having a fusion reactor that only produces little over half of what the Psyco Gundam was capable.
Like the Psyco Gundam, the Psyco Gundam Mk-II was armed with chest-mounted 3-barreled Mega Scattering Beam Guns and finger-mounted Beam Guns. In addition, it was also armed with 20 Mega Beam Guns all over its body, capable of attacking targets in all directions. Its forearms were equipped with Psycommu Beam Swords, which were wire-guided and could be controlled through the unit's psycommu system, giving it an all-range attack capability. The Psyco Gundam Mk-II also carried a set of Reflector Bits, which were unarmed but were used to redirect its own beam weapons fire to targets that are out-of-sight, or to deflect and redirect incoming enemy beam weapons fire. Similar to MSN-02 Zeong, the Psyco Gundam Mk-II also featured a detachable head unit, which could be operated independently in case its main body unit was destroyed.
- 2-barrel Mega Beam Gun
- A 2-barrel mega beam gun is mounted in the head unit. It can be even used when the head functions as an escape pod.
- Mega Beam Gun
- The Psyco Gundam Mk-II is outfitted with 20 mega beam guns mounted on various parts of its body and they have a power rating of 6.3 MW each. There are 3 guns mounted in each shoulder, 4 mounted in each leg, 2 mounted in each side skirt armor, 1 mounted in each front skirt armor and 1 mounted in the front waist armor.
- Mega Scattering beam Gun
- The main weapons carried over from the original Psyco Gundam are the three mega scattering beam guns mounted on the torso of the Psyco Gundam Mk-II. These mega scattering beam guns have power ratings of 10.7 MW each. They can blind the enemies, and can even tear through enemy units at point-blank range.
- Wire-Guided Psycommu Beam Sword
- Not only can the forearms detached and be directed at a targets via a cable connection, they can also emit a large beam sword each, allowing an all-range melee attack. Power rating of 1.7 MW each. The detached forearm is controlled via the Psyco Gundam Mk-II's psycommu system.
- Beam Gun
- The fingers of the Psyco Gundam Mk-II each contain a beam emitter, turning each one into a beam gun for a total of 10.
- Reflector Bits
- The Psyco Gundam Mk-II is capable of carrying a number of special reflector bits in its backpack. Unlike the bits developed by Zeon, these were not equipped with a beam emitter. Instead they were used to redirect Psyco Gundam Mk-II's beam to create all range attacks, or they can be used defensively to redirect enemy fire.
- As with its predecessor, the Psyco Gundam Mk-II is capable of using a shield with similar functions, including the ability to split in half and be mounted on the lower sides in Mobile Fortress mode.
Special Equipment & Features
- Detachable Head
- The Psyco Gundam Mk-II's cockpit is located within its head, much like Zeon's Zeong. Similarly, the head could detach and be operated independently of the body to be used as an escape pod.
- A Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts, through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind. In essence, a psycommu system works by passively scanning the brainwaves of newtypes, amplifying them in order to send the brainwave signal out long distances, and then translating these brainwaves into raw machine codes upon being received by the selected object with limitations. Since brainwaves are not affected by the radio interference property of Minovsky particles, at first it was mainly used to mentally control remote weapons via Minovsky Communication, usually mounted with a single beam gun. This enabled the resurrection of BVR engagements, with bits and funnels being the first weapons able to engage targets without visual contact since the development of the minovsky particle.
Despite the destruction of the MRX-009 Psyco Gundam, the Murasame Research Institute continued its research and created the even more powerful MRX-010 Psyco Gundam Mk-II. Piloted by the powerful yet unstable Cyber Newtype Rosamia Badam, and combined with all of its new weapons and psycommu based technology, the Psyco Gundam Mk-II was a much deadlier foe for MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam and its pilot Kamille Bidan than the original Psyco Gundam. Kamille managed to critically damage the Mk-II during a battle at the Gate of Zedan during the late stage of Gryps Conflict.
Almost a year later, in U.C. 0088, Neo Zeon forces retrieved the wreckage of the Psyco Gundam Mk-II and rebuild it. It was then piloted by their own Cyber Newtype pilot, Ple Two, in their war against the AEUG. However, after a lengthy battle in the aftermath of the Dublin Colony Drop, it was finally destroyed by the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam, but Ple Two survived by using the detachable head unit to escape.
Notes and Trivia
- Psyco Gundam MK-II appears as a unit in the Gundam Vs series, debuting as an unlockable playable unit in Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam. The unit can be uniquely unlocked by purchasing an item from the Gallery menu called Mode: Psyco Mk.II and can be operated in any level and mode unlike similarly large mobile armors which are usually confined to Vs or UC Mode and in specific areas. Due to limitations of the gameplay engine, the Psyco MK-II cannot use its finger and head mounted beam guns. Its secondary weapon function however has it fire all of its beam guns at its reflector bits to concentrate its increased firepower.
- It reappears again in Gundam Extreme Vs, but is shared by its two known pilots Rosamia and Puru Two. However, Puru Two spawns in Mobile Armor form and drops the shield after transforming.
|Solomon Express Mechanics|
| Mobile Suit|
FA-010E Full Armor ZZ Gundam Final Test Unit | Gundam Phase 3 | Gundam Sky | RX-78-2 Gundam C-Armor | RX-78-2 Solomon Express G-2 | RX-78-3 Solomon Express G-3 "White Devil" | Z Plus 2
| Mobile Armour|
Dendrobium Prototype "Night Fighter"
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
G-Armor Solomon Express | G-Bull | G-Bull Easy | G-Sky Easy
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
Jupiter Ghost | MS-05 Zaku First Refined Type 185th Airborne Paratrooper Use | MS-05BIS Zaku British Invasion "Green Devil" | MS-18E Kämpfer | Zaku Zombie
| Mobile Armour|
AMX-002 Neue Ziel | MA-08 Big Zam | MAN-03 Braw Bro | MAN-08 Elmeth
| Mobile Armour|
MRX-010 Psyco Gundam Mk-II