MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type
|Developed from||MS-06F Zaku II|
|First Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Principality of Zeon|
|Operator||Principality of Zeon|
|Known Pilots||Neuen Bitter|
|Head Height||17.5 meters57.415 ft |
|Max Weight||70.3 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||49.9 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||986 kW1,322.248 hp|
|Sensor Range||3200 meters10,498.688 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in standard cockpit in torso)|
|Armor||Super-hard Steel Alloy|
|Max Acceleration||0.76 G|
|180° Turning Time||1.7 s1,700 ms|
|Rocket Thrusters||2 x 20500 kg45,194.751 lb |
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type was an upgraded and improved version of the original MS-06F Zaku II, introduced in the middle of the One Year War because the original F-Type Zaku II was becoming outdated with the newer, more powerful Zaku variants, and later the more efficient MS-09B Dom and MS-14A Gelgoog mobile suit lines.
The F2 Type featured a slightly (approx. 4%) more powerful Minovsky fusion reactor than the standard Zaku. The Zeon's new Zaku II F2 Type had more armor placed around the cockpit's exterior, making projectile weapon attacks less effective at hitting the inner cockpit and reactor inside the torso. The F2 Type was also made significantly lighter in weight, which made the mobile suit much more fuel efficient. Because of this, the F2 Type had a greater operational time. The Zaku II F2 Type could also be outfitted with a pair of solid rocket boosters on its backpack that could give it a brief but tremendous increase in overall thruster output. The overall combination of a more powerful reactor and less weight made the F2 Type a more agile and maneuverable combatant. With these upgrades, the F2 Type would also be on a more equal ground when the Earth Federation began to field their first mass production mobile suit, the RGM-79 GM.
- 3-tube Missile Pod
- Mounted on the legs are two 3-tube missile pods. A quite good weapon agianst armored enemies.
- MMP-78 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very little. The MMP-78 used a 100-round drum magazine.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- The upgraded of the above weapon. It used 90mm Bullets instead of 120mm type, allows for a greater speed of firing and a higher rate of penetration. But so, it is still to weak compare to a beam rifle.
- 280mm Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation battleships. However the bazooka could only be loaded with a single round at a time, thus it had to be used carefully. The bazooka was front loaded which is difficult to do while a mobile suit is changing vectors. The bazooka could be stored on the rear waist armor while spare ammunition could be stored on the side hip armor.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II F2's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead.It was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. It can be used both in space and under gravity. Stored on attachment on the outside of the legs. Used mainly for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war the Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead.
Many of the older F-Types were retrofitted into the improved F2 Type because of the cost effectiveness in doing so. The MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type served until the war ended in U.C. 0080. Zaku II F2 Types were used extensively by the Delaz Fleet during Operation Stardust in UC 0083. A few of the units even fell into the Federation's hands and were used for pilot training squads. After Operation Stardust, many of the F2 Types were retired and went out of service.