|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team" OVA; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Discovery" design series then you should head to MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
In preparations to adapt their ground-breaking MS-09B Dom mobile suit for use in space combat, the Zimmad Company decided to field test their new rocket thruster arrays designed for the MS-09R Rick Dom, which was currently in development. Zimmad took a standard MS-06F Zaku II, modified the waist armor area, and attached a larger pair of legs equipped with several new thrusters, renaming the unit the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type.
- ZMP-50B 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. This model used a 100-round drum magazine.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The MS-06RD-4 was constructed at Zeon's Granada facility on the moon. It was assigned to test-pilot Aina Sahalin, and was taken for its first flight on October 6, Universal Century 0079. However, the MS-06RD-4 and its escort units came under attack from an Earth Federation Forces squadron. One of the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type's escort units was destroyed, and all of the Federation units were destroyed with the exception of one RGM-79［E］ GM Early Type, piloted by Terry Sanders Jr..
The MS-06RD-4 attempted to pursue the GM Type-E and was able to slightly damage it, but Aina was separated from her remaining Zaku II escort. Out of ammunition, the GM Type-E sent out a distress signal, which was picked up by a passing Federation shuttle. The shuttle sent out a RB-79K Ball Type K, piloted by Shiro Amada, to attempt to help the GM Type-E. Astonishingly, Shiro was able to severely damage the MS-06RD-4, but his Ball K Type was critically damaged in the process and both he and Aina were forced to bail out of their respective units before they both exploded.
Although the MS-06RD-4 was destroyed, Aina Sahalin was able to escape with the test-flight data of the unit before it exploded. This was a great boon to the Zimmad Company, who immediately put the information to good use fine-tuning their Rick Doms.
Notes and Trivia