MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type
|Developed from||MS-06F Zaku II|
|First Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Operator||Principality of Zeon|
|Known Pilots||Char Aznable|
|Overall Height||18.0 meters59.055 ft |
|Head Height||17.5 meters57.415 ft |
|Max Weight||75.2 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||56.5 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||976 kW1,308.837 hp|
|Sensor Range||3200 meters10,498.688 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in standard cockpit in torso)|
|Armor||Super-hard Steel Alloy|
|Max Acceleration||0.69 G|
|Rocket Thrusters||51600 kg113,758.495 lb |
The MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type looks very similar to the standard MS-06F Zaku II, so much so, that the Earth Federation can generally only tell the difference from color schemes most pilots apply to their units and the increased performance of this version. It first appears in the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The S-Type Zaku II features a squad-leader "antenna" that is mounted on the head on the Zaku II for enhanced communication capabilities, which is used to designate squad-leaders or higher ranking pilots from other squad-members or lower ranking pilots. It also featured a more powerful powerplant, which in turn, gave the S-Type Zaku II greater thrust and acceleration. However, since no changes were made to the fuel tanks, the S-Type's operating time is shortened as a result . This allowed them to move at speeds 3x faster than a normal Zaku II (This figure was later retconned to +30%). This made it incredibly dangerous in the hands of the ace pilots it was handed out to, such as the "Red Comet" Char Aznable, who sank 5 Magellan-Class Battleships in the Battle of Loum.
It was noted in a extra feature that came with the 08th MS team DVDs that the 3 times faster figure came about from Char's clever use of Terrain and debris to boost off of, saving fuel and increasing his speed compared to normal.
- ZMP-50D/120mm Machine Gun
- The primary weapon of S-Type Zaku II is a drum-fed machine gun. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks
- M-120AC Machine Gun
- A model of machine gun with a heat sword equipped on the barrel section. A limited number of these weapons were produced, and were carried by Zaku II Commander Type units for operational testing
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A secondary heavy assault weapon is a bazooka type weapon. The weapon holds a four round magazine and can be stored on waist armor racks.
- Heat Hawk Type5
- A melee type weapon bearing resemblance to a tomahawk that is stored on a waist armor rack. The weapon features a heated blade to increase cutting prowess. The heating function is powered by an independent battery.
- ZIM/M·T-K175C Magella Cannon
- The main gun of the HT-01B Magella Attack main battle tank, it is remodeled as an MS artillery weapon. It is mainly used for long distance attacks in ground combat, and can be loaded with HEAT or APFSDS rounds.
- MarkVIII Sturm Faust
- The Strum Faust is a type rocket propelled grenade, good for a single shot, that Zeon mobile suits were often equipped with During the One Year War. Used mainly for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war the Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days has a Zaku could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a machine gun giving it greater versatility.
- Cracker Grenade
- Identical to those used by infantry, the cracker grenade is an explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area.
- Twin Zaku Bazooka
The MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type was introduced during the One Year War at about the same time as the MS-06F Zaku II as a slightly improved version of the F-type Zaku II. For most the the One Year War these S-types were the most powerful mobile suits fielded and were piloted by only the best. However the S-Type Zaku's superiority would end in July of 0079 U.C. when the Federation's RX-78 Gundam mobile suit would be rolled out. Approximately 100 units would be produced .
Char Aznable would use his custom Zaku II to sortie against the Gundam piloted by Amuro Ray. Despite Amuro Ray's evident talent he was still a novice whose piloting skills simply did not match up to Char's during their early battles. The only reason Amuro Ray survived was because the Gundam greatly outperformed the Zaku II in terms of both offense and defense.
Seeing that the Federation could create a mobile suit so powerful it could survive in engagements against Char Aznable likely prompted Zeon to focus more on the development of newer mobile suits, mobile suits that could fight evenly against the new machines the Federation had developed. Though most of these new mobile suits would have superior performance specs than any model of Zaku, the mobile suit that could be called the truest successor to the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type would be the MS-14S Gelgoog Commander Type, which was also built by the Zeonic Company, the same manufacturers of the Zaku.
Appearances in other media
Char's Zaku II is a playable unit in many video games, most recently in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. It has made appearances in almost all Gundam-related video games, including Journey to Jaburo, Federation vs. Zeon, Gundam vs Gundam, and others.
- In Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, The unit has a special ability called Triple Speed which enhances the speed of the Zaku, interestingly, it is only activated if Char Aznable is chosen as the pilot, a possible reference to his abilities to push the Mobile Suit to its maximum capabilities.
- ↑ Futabasha, Common Knowledge of Gundam: Mobile Suits of the One Year War, p. 47
- ↑ Gundam Officials Encyclopedia, p. 320