Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mobile suit operated by the Principality of Zeon's Living Dead division in the Thunderbolt Sector. It is equipped with a specialized backpack with a propellant tank and two foldable sub-arms that can be moved back and forth within a 180 degree range along a rail. The suit also features additional thrusters, control verniers and its joints are protected by a cloth-like material.
- ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. The ZMP-50D used a 100-round drum magazine. "ZMP" stands for "Zaku Machine Pistol".
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships. However the bazooka could only be loaded with a single round at a time, thus it had to be used carefully. The bazooka was front loaded which is difficult to do while a mobile suit is changing vectors. The bazooka could be stored on the rear waist armor while spare ammunition could be stored on the side hip armor.
- Sturm Faust
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead, it was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. Useful both in space and under gravity, it was mainly deployed for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war. The Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days of the war, as Zeon mobile suits could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a more typical ranged weapon for greater versatility. As a non-guided weapon, it is difficult to hit targets with high mobility.
- Heat Hawk Type5
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- Shoulder Shield
- The shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits. The Zaku II mounts a shield on its right shoulder.
Notes & Trivia
- In Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt episode 5, two Zaku II with similar gold engraving and trims all over its body as the MS-06F Zaku II Dozle Zabi Custom were deployed as Special Service Mobile suits in the A Baoa Qu. These units however had the standard Zaku II shoulder armor and no spikes on their knuckle.