Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mobile suit operated by the Principality of Zeon's Living Dead division in the Thunderbolt Sector. It is equipped with a specialized backpack with two sub-arms and a propellant tank. it also features additional thrusters and control verniers The suit's controls and specs have been heavily modified and optimized for space combat and use by the cyborgs of living dead division.
The Zaku shares many similar features with that of the GM. It’s backpack is similar to that of the GM’s in that it too is equipped with two sub arms. Their operations are also similar. Furthermore, the base of the subarm can be moved back and forth within a 180 degree range along a rail. The backpack is also equipped with a propellant tank. The joints of the mobile suit are also protected by a cloth-like material.
- ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. The ZMP-50D used a 100-round drum magazine. "ZMP" stands for "Zaku Machine Pistol".
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships. However the bazooka could only be loaded with a single round at a time, thus it had to be used carefully. The bazooka was front loaded which is difficult to do while a mobile suit is changing vectors. The bazooka could be stored on the rear waist armor while spare ammunition could be stored on the side hip armor.
- Sturm Faust
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead, it was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. Useful both in space and under gravity, it was mainly deployed for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war. The Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days of the war, as Zeon mobile suits could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a more typical ranged weapon for greater versatility. As a non-guided weapon, it is difficult to hit targets with high mobility.
- Heat Hawk Type5
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- 3-Spike Shoulder Armor
- Used to protect the joint of the mobile suit, and can also used to ram into the enemy. Some pilots would customize their Zaku, to have two Spiked Shoulders, by having the right shoulder shield replaced.
- Shoulder Shield
- The shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits. The Zaku II mounts a shield on its right shoulder.