Technology and Combat Characteristics
Although the MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type was doing a fair job, the Principality of Zeon saw a need for a more effective ground based mobile suit for their operations on Earth. After the designing and testing of the YMS-07A Prototype Gouf, the first model Gouf was rolled out as the MS-07A Gouf. The A-Type Gouf was a "dumbed-down" model of the true model design. It had been released early to training battalions to get pilots used to the controls. Some models were also released into combat service for those units that desperately needed a higher performance mobile suit. The A-Type Gouf lacked several of weapons from its mass production brother, including the 75mm five-finger/barrel machine gun left hand and the tentacle-whip "heat rod" mounted on the right forearm.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is another standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. This model used a 100-round drum magazine.
- An optionally fixed armament of the Gouf was a defensive shield attached to the left arm, which stored it's melee weapon the heat sword.
- Heat Sword Type-βIV
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf series. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword has a blade that is heated to high temperatures in order to increase its cutting capacity. The heat sword however has a longer reach and hence a greater range of attack than the heat tomahawk. Initially, the weapon's blade is made of a polymer compound that has undergone a shape memory treatment, and thus is stored inside the weapon's grip when not in use and upon heating, will expand out of the grip and took on the shape of the heat sword's blade. This polymer compound was later replaced by easier to produce ceramic materials. The heat sword is sometimes referred to as heat saber.
- 120mm Assault Rifle
- A new assault rifle likely developed under the United Maintenance Plan as a weapon that can be used by various Zeon mobile suits in various environments.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The 280mm Zaku Bazooka was another standard weapon that could be equipped to a Zaku type mobile suit. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.