Technology & Combat Characteristics
Following the Principality of Zeon's invasion and subsequent occupation of much of Earth during the One Year War, the Zeon military found that their revolutionary mobile suits that proved so effective in space combat were essentially slow-moving targets on Earth, which made fighters made for atmospheric combat surprisingly effective against them (Federal pilot Lydo Wolf, for example, was a fighter ace before becoming a Mobile Suit pilot). This encouraged Zeon engineers to think of ways to create a mobile suit design that was capable of sustained atmospheric flight. A program was initiated to develop an atmospheric flight-capable mobile suit, and four MS-07 Goufs were modified into the experimental MS-07H Gouf Flight Test Type.
- 5-barrel 75mm Machine Gun
- For the MS-07H Gouf Flight Test Type, both of its manipulators are replaced by five-barrel 75mm machine guns which are shaped like enlarged fingers. The machine gun hand fires physical rounds at a rapid rate and possesses enough firepower to destroy lightly armored mobile suits with ease. However its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. Unlike MS-07B Gouf's original gun hand, both MS-07H's five-barrel machine guns are magazine-fed at the forearms for better ammunition capacity. Despite the gun hand's bulky and awkward appearance, its barrels demonstrate limited degree of digital dexterity, including the ability for Gouf Flight Test Type to hold and fire the 360mm Giant Bazooka.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- Despite not having normal hands, the MS-07H Gouf Flight Test Type was still able to use the same 360mm Giant Bazooka used by the Dom series. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine. A single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
Mounting aerodynamic control surfaces on its backpack and a pair of powerful thermonuclear jet engines on each leg, the Gouf Flight Test Types were assigned to Zeon's captured California Base and later transferred to an air force base in Arizona for extensive test flights. This initial design would prove flawed, however, and over the course of its test flight schedule, the Gouf Flight Test Types were refurbished and redesigned along the way, the last incarnation being the MS-07H-4 model before the program was finally scrapped.
However, when the Earth Federation reclaimed California Base, they discovered the MS-07H Gouf Flight Test Types and began using them for their own purposes, even up to UC 0087 during the early part of the Gryps Conflict, when the Earth Federation used them in vain to defend Jaburo from the AEUG.
Notes & Trivia
- In the Gundam Musou series of games, the Gouf Flight Test Type uses a Heat Sword for melee combat.
- In their Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam's appearance, Gouf Flight Test Types are only seen hovering above ground in a similar fashion to the MS-09B Dom instead of full fledge flight. It's unknown if this is due to modifications done by the Earth Federation or if its an ability the Gouf Flight Test Type possessed all along.