The MS-08TX[EXAM] Efreet Custom (イフリート改) (in the Blue Destiny manga it is called "Iflyte") was a Zeon mobile suit which was first appeared in Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny. The unit was piloted by Nimbus Schterzen.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Efreet Custom is a modified MS-08TX Efreet, and its most distinct feature is the EXAM System installed in its head. This special system increases the performance of the mobile suit, allowing it to perform as though it was piloted by a Newtype. The Efreet Custom was armed with two forearm grenade launchers, two leg mounted missile pods, and two heat swords for close combat.
- Twin Grenade Launchers
- One of two ranged combat weapons of the Efreet Custom is a pair of twin grenade launchers, one mounted on each forearm. These grenades are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- 6-tube Missile Pod
- Another of the two ranged combat weapons of the Efreet Custom is a pair of 6-tube Missile Pods, one mounted on each leg. These missiles can be used to bombard enemy units in an area.
- Heat Sword
- Like the original Efreet, the Efreet Custom is equipped with a pair of heat sword as its primary melee weapon. The blade of the heat sword can be heated to high temperatures to increase its cutting capacity. Compared to the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword has a longer reach and hence a greater range of attack. The pair of heat swords are stored on the suit's back when not in use. One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion. The weapon is also sometimes referred to as a heat saber.
- Tactical Arms II
- A weapon from the MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise, the Tactical Arms II is a multifunctional equipment capable taking on different roles in combat. Appears on a modified Efreet Custom unit in episode 16 of Gundam Build Fighters Try.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red.
The Efreet Custom first appeared when a Medea carrying Alph Kamra and the RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1, Efreet's sister unit, crashed with the help of six heavily-armed Zakus. In order to keep the Efreet Custom and EXAM a secret, Nimbus destroyed his own allies. The Efreet first entered combat against the pilotless Blue Destiny Unit 1, but retreated due to an incoming Earth Federation force.
Later, during the attack on California Base, the Efreet and Blue Destiny would meet for the final time. However, the Blue Destiny had a new pilot; Nimbus' rival Yuu Kajima. As the two fought, the truth about the EXAM was revealed. Both Blue Destiny Unit 1 and the Efreet Custom were destroyed, but their pilots survived.
Notes & Trivia
- The Efreet (or Ifrit) comes from Islamic folklore and refers to an immense and malicious flaming spirit that wanders the desert seeking humans to torment.