The Rick Dom Char Aznable Custom (often known by fans as simply Char's Rick Dom) is a variant of the MS-09R Rick Dom, specially modified to Char Aznable specifications. The unit is piloted by Char in the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam, replacing the MSN-02 Zeong as Char's final mobile suit during the One Year War.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Any differences in tech specifications between this custom Rick Dom and the standard Rick Dom are currently unknown, if there are any to begin with. Since this mobile suit belonged to Char Aznable there is a high probability that it was tuned to have a higher thruster output, similar to his old MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A chest mounted scattering beam gun. Does little damage to enemy mobile suits but can be used to blind enemy pilots for several seconds.
- Heat Saber
- Stored on the backpack when not in use, this weapon bears a strong resemblance to the beam sabers used by Earth Federation mobile suits, however it still relies on the older technology of using thermal energy to superheat a metal blade, allowing it to melt through the armor of an enemy machine at high speed.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The primary weapon of Char's Rick Dom is a large bazooka. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Ex-T2-2 Beam Bazooka
- A new weapon developed near the end of the war and given to the Rick Dom. It is an experimental beam bazooka, and it's use requires the Rick Dom's energy systems to be modified. The bazooka has it's own internal reactor, rather than an E-cap, and is, essentially, a Musai deck gun scaled down for mobile suit use. Due to using a reactor rather than an E-cap, the bazooka is capable of a single sustained blast or several short bursts, requiring a lengthy recharge period of approximately 10 minutes before it can be used again.
With the One Year War reaching it end, and the Federation being close to seizing victory, the Principality of Zeon focused all of its efforts into quickly producing as many of their space orientated mobile suits to defeat the Federation in Space, and emerge victorious in the war. One such suit was the MS-09R Rick Dom, which despite being outclassed by the MS-14A Gelgoog, still proved highly versatile in battle, and as such was still preferable over the MS-06F2 Zaku II.
In the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam, Char gains this unit after his MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type is destroyed in battle at Texas Colony. Through this, Char and his team became part of a Zeon "Newtype Corps" team, comprised of MS-09R Rick Doms and at least one actual Newtype-use Mobile Armor. Char would use this suit to battle, then later try to recruit, Amuro Ray in his attempt to overthrow the Zabi Family. In the end, Char would use this suit to deliver Kycilia Zabi to confront her brother Gihren and assassinate him before Char tossed Kycilia to her death.
Gunpla and Action Figure
Notes & Trivia
- Although its specification is same as novel Rick Dom, Char's Rick Dom made frequent appearances in video games like Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed and SD Gundam G Generation series where it's the only Rick Dom armed with beam bazooka.