MS-11 Action Zaku
|Developed from||MS-06F Zaku II|
|First Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Last Seen||0087 U.C.|
|Operator||Principality of Zeon|
|Known Pilots||Mallet Sanguine|
|Overall Height||18.7 meters61.352 ft |
|Head Height||18.2 meters59.711 ft |
|Standard Weight||59.1 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Minovsky Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||1440 kW1,931.072 hp|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in standard cockpit in torso)
The MS-11 Action Zaku (aka Act Zaku) is a Principality of Zeon mass production general purpose mobile suit. It was featured as a mobile suit variation in MS-X, it later appeared in the anime Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and the manga Mobile Suit Gundam: Outer Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Built under the Pezun Project at Zeon's Pezun space asteroid base, the Act Zaku was planned to be a new mass-production model mobile suit that the Zeon would field to sway the tides of war back into their favor. The Act Zaku was the testbed for the new "magnetic coating" technology developed by the Zeonic Company. The special magnetic coating materials were applied to the joints of the Act Zaku, which could be electrically charged to produce a magnetic field. This field caused the components of the joints to repel one another, reducing the friction caused by joint movement to almost nothing, creating a faster and much more responsive mobile suit.
The Act Zaku was also designed with a much higher output reactor, allowing it to wield beam weaponry. A custom beam rifle was in production for the Act Zaku to use. However, the design for the weapon was not complete by the time the Act Zakus were deployed, so they were issued machine guns instead. The Act Zaku was also issued a heat tomahawk for use as a melee weapon.
At least one custom unit belong to Granada's ace pilot, Mallet Sanguine. This Act Zaku has a commander antenna on its forehead and armed with two heat hawks, and an MS-14A Gelgoog's beam rifle and shield. After Mallet got seriously injured by the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04"'s mega beam launcher, he has the Act Zaku's limiter removed - increasing its performance while ignoring his condition - in order to exact vengeance from G04's partner, RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 "G05".
- 120mm Zaku Machine Gun
- The standard 120mm Zaku Machine Gun.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle the Act Zaku would have used was never produced during the One Year War, resulting in the Act Zaku using other weapons like the Machine Gun and Bullpup Gun.
- 4-barrel Bullpup Gun
- To replace the unproduced beam rifle, the Act Zaku used a 4-barrel bullpup gun.
- Heat Hawk
- The heat hawk is the standard melee weapon of the Act Zaku (as well as all other Zaku mobile suits). The heat hawk is shaped like an axe and utilizes heat blade technology. The blade of the weapon is designed to heat to super high temperatures in order to melt, or at least soften, the metal armor of the target, thus causing more damage.
- Gelgoog Shield
- The Action Zaku is also capable of carrying the Zulu-style shield used by the MS-14 Gelgoog.
Special Equipment & Features
- Magnetic-Coated Joints
- The purpose for the Magnetic Coating applied to the mobile suits joints was to decrease friction between joints, allowing for enhanced maneuverability and decreasing the chances for the joints to lock-up.
The Act Zaku was introduced too late for the Principality of Zeon. Some units might have actually seen combat during the retake of the Pezun asteroid after the end of the war, quite possibly already equipped with beam rifles. When the Earth Federation Forces captured the Pezun asteroid, they obtained the designs for the Action Zaku, and the concept of magnetic joint coating. The Earth Federation would put the Act Zaku into production for their own use after the One Year War.
The Earth Federation would use the Act Zaku for many years, right up into the Gryps Conflict, though not in as great a number as their other mass produced machines. By UC 0087 the Act Zaku was fairly outdated when compared to the advanced machines being produced by both sides, and saw resounding defeats during each engagement against the AEUG. By UC 0087 the Act Zaku was phased out of service with the Earth Federation.
- In the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, the Act Zaku is an unlockable unit and has its own beam rifle. The design of the beam rifle in the game is similar to the design for the beam rifle the Hi-Zack and Marasai used. This might imply that when the Pezun base was captured by the Earth Federation, they took the design for this beam rifle for their own production purposes.