The MS-14BR Gelgoog High Mobility R type (aka Gelgoog High Mobility Type (Chimera Corps A Baoa Qu Battle Type), Gelgoog R ) is a variant of the MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type. It first appeared as a part of the MSV-R line, and later featured in Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link video game.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-14BR Gelgoog High Mobility R type was a Gelgoog High Mobility Type with improved speed and mobility. This was achieved through the installation of large thruster units in the legs, resulting in the removal of armor around the suit's calves. Due to its resemblance to the MS-06R series, it was informally known as the "Gelgoog R". It can be armed with a twin beam sword, a beam rifle, and a giant bazooka among other weapons. The beam rifle can be attached to the backpack.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The same close-range melee weapon as used by the normal Gelgoog, it is also known as a beam naginata. The beam sword operates by generating a beam of plasma contained and shaped by an I-field. Because of the heat of the plasma, the beam sword can cut through any material not treated with anti-beam coating. The twin beam sword's handle is about the length of two beam saber hilts, and has an emitter at both ends, allowing a single weapon to create two beam blades. This allows the pilot to incorporate different techniques into their fighting style than they would normally be capable of. When not in use, it is stored on the rear waist armor.
- The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and has an anti-beam coating to protect against beam attacks. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. Like the normal Gelgoog, the Gelgoog R carries an oval-shaped shield.
- Beam Rifle
- The Gelgoog series is the first series of mass produced Principality of Zeon mobile suit to be equipped with a beam rifle. The technology of the rifle allows the weapon to fire compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but the specially treated materials. The Gelgoog R's beam rifle features a cooling jacket as well a grenade launcher for improved performance, and can be mounted on the unit's backpack and fired directly.
- Grenade Launcher
- The beam rifle is fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. These grenades weren't very effective against large ships, but were ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- 360mm Bullpup Rocket Cannon
- A short barrel bullpup-style rocket cannon, this weapon is magazine-fed and launches rocket-propelled shape charges.
- 3-tube Missile Launcher
- An optional 3-tube missile launcher that can be attached to the suit's forearm instead of the usual jet engines.
- Missile Launcher
- A weapon created from the demands of Zeon ace pilots to be equipped with a simple, easy-to-use projectile firing weapon on their mobile suits. The 4-tube missile launcher can be easily assembled inside Chimera Corp's warship and ready for deployment in a short period of time.
Two MS-14BR Gelgoog High Mobility R Type were remodeled in Zimmad's factories, and delivered to the elite Chimera Corps along with spare parts that were used to upgrade additional units. Maj. David Chaseman and 1st Lt. Emme Diplom of Chimera Corps used the suit during the Battle of A Baoa Qu at the end of the war. Another unit was piloted by Vincent Gleissner of Zeon's Marchosias MS regiment, who also used his unit in the battle of A Baoa Qu. In U.C.0096, a mercenary unit composed of Gelgoog-types was hired by Federation Forces captain Rock Hawker to attack the transport ship Aonbarr.