Technology & Combat Characteristics
During the One Year War, Gelgoog incorporates parts left over from the prototype MS-11 Action Zaku before the designation of the Gelgoog project was changed to "MS-14." After the One Year War, Uma Lightning would use Federation materials and technology to upgrade the Gelgoog so that it could compete with newer mobile suits.
The armor was upgraded by replacing the super hard steel alloy with Gundarium alloy favored by the Federation, but was fashioned in the crushable armor method favored by Zeon engineers, which disperses impact energy by breaking the outer armor in a controlled manner instead of relying solely on hardness. Another upgrade was the addition of magnetic coating to the joints. While Zeon did employ this technology at the end of the war, it is suspected that what is used on this particular Gelgoog is a more advanced form that was not developed until after the war. Also, the verniers were upgraded for increased output using fuel made by the Federation.
These upgrades can be discovered through analysis of the machine's performance. Specifically, a spectrum analysis will reveal that the Gelgoog's targeting lasers matches those made with Federation technology, as does analysis of the flames from the verniers which reveal that the thrusters use a fuel made by the Federation.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The same close-range melee weapon as used by the original Gelgoog, it is also known as a beam naginata. The beam sword operates by generating a beam of plasma contained and shaped by an I-field. Because of the heat of the plasma, the beam sword can cut through any material not treated with anti-beam coating. The twin beam sword's handle is about the length of two beam saber hilts, and has an emitter at both ends, allowing a single weapon to create two beam blades. This allows the pilot to incorporate different techniques into their fighting style than they would normally be capable of. When not in use, it is stored on the rear waist armor.
- Twin Beam Spear
- The same weapon as used by the RGM-79FP GM Striker, it is an extendable rod with a pair of movable beam sabers at its tip. When the two beam sabers are pointing straight ahead, the weapon is in 'Rod Mode' and 'Scythe Mode' is when the beam sabers are pointing sideways. The weapon's long reach gives the suit an advantage in melee combat.
- Beam Rifle
- The Gelgoog series is the first series of mass produced Principality of Zeon mobile suit to be equipped with a beam rifle. The technology of the rifle allows the weapon to fire compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but the specially treated materials. The beam rifle used by the Gelgoog Uma Lightning Custom features a cooling jacket and grenade launcher for improved performance.
- Grenade Launcher
- The beam rifle is fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. These grenades weren't very effective against large ships, but were ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and has an anti-beam coating to protect against beam attacks. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The Gelgoog Uma Lightning Custom uses the same shield as the normal Gelgoog.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- An optional defensive armament, this is the same shield as used by the RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type. Two notable features is the grip bar at the top of the shield, and a pair of thick prong-like protrusions that can be used as a smashing weapon against enemy mobile suits.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same Giant Bazooka used by the Dom series of mobile suits. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 3-tube Missile Launcher
- An optional 3-tube missile launcher that can be attached to the forearm of the Gelgoog instead of the usual jet engines.