The MS-14B Gelgoog Uma Lightning Custom is a specially modified MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type mobile suit used by Uma Lightning. It is featured in the MSV-R variations series as well as MSV-R: The Return of Johnny Ridden manga series.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
During the One Year War, Gelgoog incorporates parts left over from the prototype MS-11 Action Zaku before the designation of the Gelgoog project was changed to "MS-14." After the One Year War Uma Lightning would use Federation materials and technology to upgrade the Gelgoog so that it could compete with newer mobile suits.
The armor was upgraded by replacing the super hard steel alloy with Gundarium alloy favored by the Federation that was fashioned in the crushable armor method favored by Zeon engineers, which disperses impact energy by breaking the outer armor in a controlled manner instead of relying solely on hardness.
Another upgrade was the addition of magnetic coating to the joints. While Zeon did employ this technology at the end of the war it is suspected that what is used on this particular Gelgoog is a more advanced form that was not developed until after the war. Also the verniers were upgraded for increased output using fuel made by the Federation.
These upgrades can be discovered through analysis of the machine's performance. Specifically a spectrum analysis will reveal that the Gelgoog's targeting lasers matches those made with Federation technology, as does analysis of the flames from the verniers which reveal that the thrusters use a fuel made by the Federation.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The twin beam sword, also called the Beam Naginata, is the Gelgoog's weapon in close-range melee combat. The beam sword operates by generating a beam of plasma contained and shaped by an I-field. Because of the heat of the plasma the beam sword can cut through any alloy. The Gelgoog's twin beam sword is unique in that it has a longer than average handle, about the length of two beam saber hilts, and has an emitter at both ends, allowing a single weapon to create two beam blades. When not in use it is stored in a back mounted recharge rack.
- Twin Beam Spear
- The same model used by the RGM-79FP GM Striker, this pole-arm weapon was inspired by the famous RX-78-2 Gundam's Beam Javelin. A Twin Beam Spear mounts two beam sabers at its head and it's long reach of the weapon gives a considerable advantage in melee combat.
- Beam Rifle
- The Gelgoog series is the first series of mass produced Principality of Zeon mobile suit to be equipped with a beam rifle. The technology of the rifle allows the weapon to fire compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but the specially treated materials. The beam rifle features a cooling jacket and grenade launcher for improved performance.
- Grenade Launcher
- The beam rifle is fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. These grenades weren't very effective against large ships, but were ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The Gelgoog carries a unique arm mounted shield styled after the shields used by the African Zulu tribe. When not in use the large shield can be mounted on the back to free up the arms.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- An optional defensive armament. A shield that is notably smaller though thicker, it is the same as the RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type's, which allows for greater arm movement. Two notable features is the grip bar at the top of the shield and a pair of thick prong-like protrusions that can be used as a smashing weapon against enemy mobile suits.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same Giant Bazooka used by the Dom series of mobile suits. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 3-tube Missile Launcher
- An optional 3-tube missile launcher that can be attached to the forearm of the Gelgoog instead of the usual jet engines.