The MS-14J ReGelgu is a variant of the MS-14A Gelgoog which debuts in the Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ TV series, and make an appearance later in the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn OVA. The unit is piloted by Neo Zeon ace Illia Pazom.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Seen during the First Neo Zeon War, the MS-14J ReGelgu is the old MS-14A Gelgoog upgraded by Axis with new technology. The name ReGelgu stands for REfined GELGoog. It has large shoulder binders which contain thrusters and verniers to boost its mobility. It also has a pair of external propellant tanks on the backpack. This backpack is also equipped with a missile pod. Other weapons include a grenade launcher, beam rifle and beam saber.
- 8-tube Missile Pod
- The backpack of the MS-14J ReGelgu mounts a single 8-tube missile pod. The standard load of the missile pod is eight AMS-11S small missiles.
- AMS-11S Small Missile
- The AMS-11S small missile type is the standard load for smaller sized missile pods used by the forces of Neo Zeon during the First Neo Zeon War.
- Grenade Launcher
- The MS-14J ReGelgu is equipped with a pair of grenade launcher mounted in the mobile suit's forearms. Both grenade launchers are single tube and can only fire one rocket-propelled grenade each.
- Beam Saber
- The MS-14J ReGelgu replaces the beam naginata of the MS-14A Gelgoog with a pair of more standard beam sabers that are stored in backpack mounted recharge racks.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The twin beam sword, also known as a beam naginata, was originally MS-14A Gelgoog's weapon in close-range melee combat. The beam sword operates by generating a beam of plasma contained and shaped by an I-field. Because of the heat of the plasma the beam sword can cut through any alloy. The twin beam sword is unique in that it has a longer than average handle, about the length of two beam saber hilts, and has an emitter at both ends, allowing a single weapon to create two beam blades. This allows the pilot the advantage of incorporating different techniques into their fighting style than they would normally be capable of. The twin beam sword was used by The Sleeves' ReGelgu.
- Beam Rifle
- The MS-14J ReGelgu is equipped with a single beam rifle, power rated at 2.18 MW, as an optional hand operated ranged weapon. The beam rifle can be fitted with grenade launcher equipment.
- Grenade Launcher
- The beam rifle of the ReGelgu mounts grenade launcher equipment that allows it to fire one rocket-propelled grenade.
- 360mm Bullpup Rocket Cannon
- A short barrel bullpup-style rocket cannon, this weapon is magazine-fed and launches rocket-propelled shape charges.
- Beam Machine Gun
- A handheld beam weapon originally used by the AMS-119 Geara Doga, it is powered by a replaceable e-pac. The beam machine gun was used by The Sleeves' ReGelgu.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tanks
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant. The commander types used the same tanks as the MS-14F Gelgoog Marine.
When the remnants of of the Principality of Zeon forces retreated to Axis, they were not prepared to simply quit on the revolution started by the Zabi family and began preparing for renewing the conflict. Knowing that the Earth Federation would continue their development of mobile suit technology the researchers of Axis used their existing mobile suit force and limited resources to develop more advanced versions of what they already had available. One of the most advanced mobile suit available was the MS-14A Gelgoog, the pinnacle of Zeon's mobile suit technology at the end of the One Year War. The Gelgoogs were upgraded into the MS-14J ReGelgu, a more powerful and faster mobile suit that served as part of Axis's main mobile suit force for years until the AMX-003 Gaza-C was ready for mass production.
During the First Neo Zeon War, the Axis Zeon fielded many advanced mobile suits, but their resources were limited compared to the Earth Federation and they needed to field any mobile suit available, even older machines such as the ReGelgu. One such unit was piloted by Neo Zeon Ace Illia Pazom. In U.C. 0096, a number of ReGelgus survived and would be used by the Neo-Zeon remnants "The Sleeves" during the Third Neo Zeon War. The Sleeve's ReGelgus would be repainted into a new color scheme and given the distinctive markings featured on many of the Sleeve's mobile suits. One such unit was destroyed by the Mega Bazooka Launcher operated by ECOAS field commander Conroy Haagensen.