|Developed from||YMS-18 Kämpfer Prototype|
|First Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Operator||Principality of Zeon|
|Known Pilots||Jake Yomada|
|Overall Height||18.2 meters59.711 ft |
|Head Height||17.7 meters58.071 ft |
|Max Weight||78.5 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||43.5 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||1550 kW2,078.584 hp|
|Sensor Range||6100 meters20,013.123 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in standard cockpit in torso)|
|Armor||Titanium Alloy/Ceramic Composite|
|Max Acceleration||2.03 G|
|Max Speed||215 km/h133.595 mph|
|180° Turning Time||1.2 s1,200 ms|
|Rocket Thrusters||2 x 28500 kg62,831.727 lb |
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The "E" in the MS-18E Kämpfer's model number was an abbreviation for the German word "einhauen," which translates to "one strike." "One strike" summed up the Kämpfers role in combat as a fast assaul unit. It was meant to strike quickly, cause massive damage with its varied weapons loadout, and make a fast escape. The Kämpfer was a very focused design, never intended to work outside of its created role. Within this role it was an exceptional unit, rivaling the Federation RX series in firepower and speed. The unit was covered with thrusters and verniers to give it high maneuverability. Conversely, the large number of thrusters resulted in a high fuel consumption rate, limiting it to only being operable for short periods of time. Its designers chose only minimal armor plating, even removing the hip mounted skirt armor found on most mobile suits entirely from the design. The choice of conventional explosives and weapon systems in favour of beam weapons was made to reduce the drain on its powerplant and resultant drop in speed. Weapon racks were designed to be ejected from the unit as they were expended, minimizing dead weight. The unit was intended to be operated by special forces, built to be easily disassembled and reassembled in blocks. This was to aid in its insertion and activation behind enemy lines.
- 60mm Vulcans
- An uncommon feature on Zeon MS, the Kampfer has 2 vulcans in the head similar to Federation Mobile Suits.
- Beam Saber
- There is a beam saber recharge rack located in each thigh, allowing the Kampfer to quickly draw them for attack.
- ZUX-197 Jagdgewehr 192mm Shotgun
- A pump-action shotgun that is possibly the same model used by the Efreet, it can also be loaded automatically by an electric mechanism. One can be stored behind the legs, and one be hand carried at the same time.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- Similar to the bazooka's used by the Rick Dom II, they have 10 rounds in each of thier attached magazines. There are two bazooka's are stored on the back.
- Sturm Faust
- A hand-held rocket propelled grenade that is good for a single shot. Zeon mobile suits were often equipped with at least one Sturm Faust during the One Year War. It was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. Stored on attachment on the outside of the legs. Used mainly for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war the Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days has Zeon mobile suits could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a second more standard ranged weapon giving giving them great versatility.
- Chain Mine
- The chain mine was a number of disc-shaped mines connected to each other by flexible cable. Each mine had magnetic claws on its underside, allowing it to be attached to objects. The chain mine could be thrown out like grenades one by one, laid on the ground or fixed to a building as a mine, or (most destructively) attached to a single enemy and detonated. The last attack method was used by Kämpfer against the prototype Gundam NT-1. It failed to destroy the NT-1, but did heavily damage its newly-tested chobham armour. The chain mine was later improved upon and enlarged, for use by RX-78GP03 Dendrobrium as the demolition chain.
Special Equipment & Features
- Weapons Racks
- Mounted on several points on the Kämpfer are weapon racks which are used to mount various weapons when not in use, and can be ejected when expended. These weapon racks can be use for its shotgun, bazookas and sturm fausts.
In the few remaining days and weeks before the end of the One Year War, the Principality of Zeon churned out several new prototype mobile suits. One of these new units was known only as the YMS-18 Kämpfer Prototype, which Zeon engineers quickly began producing different variations and redesigns to create custom units meant to excel in specific mission roles. One of the variations created was the MS-18E Kämpfer.
Despite the drawbacks of limited armor and high fuel-consumption, the Kämpfer was still an incredible mobile suit. Due to its late introduction to the war, only a few units were ever produced. A single Kämpfer was fielded by Zeon's Cyclops Team during their infiltration of the Libot Colony in the neutral Riah Republic of Side 6 on the 20th of December, Universal Century 0079. This unit, piloted by an inebriated Mikhail Kaminsky, destroyed the entire Scarlet Team mobile suit squadron of the assault carrier Gray Phantom single handedly. It then faced its primary objective, the Earth Federation's RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex". The Kämpfer failed to destroy NT-1 and in turn fell prey to the gundam's wrist-mounted 90mm gatling cannon.
In Gundam Legacy, a single Kämpfer served as the control unit for the "Silver Lance" weapon for the Operation Silver Lance plot against the Republic of Zeon in U.C. 0084. It was piloted by former Zeon pilot Lilia Flaubert.
In the series Ecole du Ciel, from its ease of dissassembly and reassembly, the Kämpfer has seen usage by post-war pirates and later with the Axis forces. A prototype Kämpfer is operated by Akira and later in the series, Asuna Elmarit. At the point of U.C. 0086, the unit's parts are difficult to locate, making maintenance of the unit extremely difficult. Later this unit is even seen fielded by AEUG, a testament to its high performance.
- "Kämpfer" is the German word for "fighter".
- The concept of an Assault Mobile Suit was reused in 0083, when Mika Akitaka designed the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra as an Anaheim Electronics attempt to create an assault suit.