The MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom was a variant of MS-21C Dra-C, the mass-produced space attack mobile suit created by the Delaz Fleet. It was featured in the picture drama Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Mayfly of Space 2.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
For Dra-C Custom, the shoulder-mounted spherical thruster pods featured on the original Dra-C were replaced by a pair of thrusters taken from an unknown type of Zeon's space-assault boat. The replacement thrusters enhanced Dra-C Custom's acceleration over the original Dra-C, at the expense of mobility. In addition, Dra-C Custom forgoes the 40mm vulcan gun right arm with the regular MS right arm and manipulator, and is armed with a MMP-78 machine gun for ranged attack. The original Dra-C's left arm shield-beam saber composite is retained.
- Mounted on the Dra-C's shield is a beam saber that could be deployed at any time. Made from leftover battleship plating, the shield incorporates a small generator and e-cap system with a cooling unit since the suit's own generator is insufficient for beam weaponry.
- Beam Saber
- The Beam Saber emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The termination of the I-field along a solid contact surface allows the plasma to eat away at the offending material until the I-field reestablishes itself, allowing the weapon to "cut" through almost any target. Dra-C is equipped with a single beam saber with its hilt being fixed at the underside of its shield.
- MMP-78 Machine Gun
- A new model machine gun with enhanced firepower to combat Federation Forces MS. Early type and late type models exist, with differences in the location and mounting of the grip on the latter. The MMP-78 is also integrated with a grenade launcher under its barrel for additional firepower. "MMP" is an abbreviation for "Mobile Suit Machine Pistol".
- Grenade Launcher
- The MMP-78 is fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. The grenade wasn't very effective against large ships, but was an ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapon.
- Gatling Gun
- A large Gatling gun with immense firing rate. While not near as powerful as a beam rifle, the sheer number of bullets flying through the air shred through almost anything, regardless of how durable it is.
- Sturm Faust
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead, it was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon, but was also useful against Mobile Suits. The Dra-C Custom can mount two of these on its shield.
- 3-tube Missile Pod
- The Dra-C Custom can optionally mount up to four 3-tube Missile Pods on its leg thrusters. These missiles are quite effective against armored enemies. However, they were also slow and unsuited for combat against nimbler targets.
After the end of the One Year War many of the Zeon remnants that refused to let the war end in anything less than victory retreated from the Earth Sphere and went into hiding. While in exile these renegade fleets were slowly building up their forces, plotting to renew their conflict against the Earth Federation.
One of these rogue Zeon fleets was the Delaz Fleet, and to bolster their military strength they built new mobile suits using what scrap parts they had available. The result was the MS-21C Dra-C, a space-use fast-interception attack mobile suit. The Dra-C was built out of parts from old Gattle fighter-bombers with the torso and arms borrowed from the MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type. Besides the regular Dra-C, the Delaz Fleet also built a version known as MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom with different shoulder thrusters, and retention of both MS manipulators for the flexibility of using various MS firearms.