The MSA-003 Nemo is a mass-production attack-use mobile suit first featured in the anime series Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. The design was later updated and featured in the light novel/OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MSA-003 Nemo is a mobile suit developed by Anaheim Electronics that is based upon the Earth Federation's RMS-179 GM II mobile suit. However, since Anaheim Electronics had no experience in the development of the GM series, risks were considered with parts procurement, maintenance, and the high costs that accompanied a completely new design. This was addressed by adopting design features and equipment from the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, a machine considered a masterpiece that was fielded by Federation Forces and ace pilots late in the One Year War. Although this new suit strongly resembled the old GM II it was far better in terms of generator power, armor material, thruster acceleration, and maneuverability. Additionally the Nemo was able to use already existing weapons such as the RMS-099 Rick Dias’s beam saber or the GM II’s beam rifle, which also reduced the costs to produce these units.
The MSA-003 Nemo could be fitted with a ballute system, allowing the mobile suit to survive atmospheric entry on its own. Once its close enough to the ground the Nemo's thrusters are enough to slow descent, allowing it to land safely. Although not designed for aerial combat because of its lack of flight capabilities, the Nemo is still capable of firing its weapons at ground targets and aerial targets such as the FF-6 TIN Cod as long as the pilot pays attention to altitude. Despite not being designed for aerial combat the Nemo's durable armor and powerful weapons make it a deadly opponent for outdated fighter craft like the TIN Cod.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series. These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits, it is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal not treated with anti-beam coating. The Nemo uses the same beam saber as the Rick Dias, and a pair of them are stored on the rear-waist armor, each power rated at 0.4 MW.
- AE/ZIM.C-BAZ-531 300mm Clay Bazooka
- The same weapon as used by Rick Dias, it was was originally designed to fire adhesive rounds which immobilize enemy machines rather than destroying them outright. However, it could also be loaded with other types of ammunition, including conventional explosive round as well as pellet shot round. The Clay Bazooka has 1 round in its chamber with 7 more rounds in a reloadable magazine.
- 170mm Cannon
- During the battle at Torrington Base in UC 0096, an Earth Federation Nemo was seen using a 170mm shell-firing cannon. While the weapon has a similar appearance to that of the NNFHI·GMCa-type.09/180mm Cannon used by the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, there are some clear differences in the design of the two weapons which set them apart from one another.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. To keep the cost of the Nemo down, the Nemo is equipped with the same beam rifle used by the RMS-179 GM II; which has a power rating of 1.9 MW and powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun that is based on older technologies, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. It features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties. The ammunition is stored in spare clips that can be replaced when they are used up.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- BOWA BR-M-82L-9 L-9 Type Beam Rifle
- A beam weapon developed independently from the the sniper-type beam rifle for the Guncannon. Sniping is also possible by utilizing a bipod. Utilizing the latest technology in energy cartridges, it can only shoot one shot per cartridge yet boasts greater power and a longer firing range under Minovsky particle dispersal. When equipped with this weapon, the Nemo's head would be retrofitted with a movable goggle, similar to the one of the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, that contains an additional sensor system; this goggle would cover the head's visor during sniping.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Shields are also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Special Equipment & Features
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed for a Mobile Suit. As the mobile suit enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the mobile suit with chest and leg hover units which ease its descent to the ground. If the mobile suit reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions. The equipment can be used by a multitude of mobile suits.
During the Gryps Conflict in UC 0087, the AEUG relied heavily on mobile suits stolen from or brought by defecting members of the Earth Federation, mainly the RMS-179 GM II. However its leadership soon decided that the AEUG needed a mass-produced unit of their own so that they could compete with the Titans's units and show to their enemy that they were a serious threat. The task to develop this new suit went to Anaheim Electronics, resulting in the Nemo.
The Nemo proved to be a capable, versatile mobile suit and the AEUG's leadership made it the organization's primary mobile suit, and it served for the entirety of the Gryps Conflict and the First Neo Zeon War. The Nemo is used in various important missions such as the attack to capture Earth Federation Salamis Kai-class cruiser, and the orbital drop to attack the Titans base at Jaburo. As an act of comradeship in their combined goal, the AEUG gave a number of their Nemos to Karaba for their use.
Even in the year UC 0096 the Nemo was still in service within the Earth Federation, as it had absorbed the AEUG and Karaba. These mobile suits were repainted into new color schemes, that differ depending on operating locations. Almost a decade old the Nemo was no longer a front line unit, but would still see action fighting remnants of Zeon during their attacks on Dakar and Torrington Base.
The Nemo's design is eventually used to developed the MSA-004 Nemo II, which features, aside from a modified external appearance, improved thrusters, sensor range, and ultra-compact fusion reactor. The design of the Nemo II serves as a test-bed that is developed into the MSA-004K Nemo III, a unit armed with an additional shoulder beam cannon to allow it to take the role of a medium range support unit. Still, the Nemo III never passed the prototype stage and it wasn't mass-produced. The design of Nemo also inspired another of Anaheim Electronics's mass production mobile suit, the MSA-007 Nero.
Notes and Trivia
|Under the Gundam: Double-Fake Mechanics|
|Monotone Mouse Company|
J Gundam | Junior Mobile Suit | Petite Mobile Suit
Middle Mobile Suit | MWS-19051G D Gundam "First" | MWS-19051G-2 D Gundam "Second"
|Earth Federation Forces|
Gundam Kazaki Custom | MSA-003 Nemo | MSA-004K Nemo III | MSA-008 Bar-GM | Nemo Kai | RGD-X1 GD Striker | RGD-X2 GD Cannon | RGD-X3 GD Burstliner | RGM-89B Jegan Custom | RGX-D3 D Gundam "Third" | RGX-D4 D Gundam "Fourth" | RMS-179 GM II
Musai-class | Salamis-class
| Mobile Suit|
AMS-119 Geara Doga | AMX-002 Gaza-B | AMX-003S Gaza-C Custom | AMX-011C Zaku III Late Type | AMX-011C Zaku III Late Type Land Use | AMX-012 Guza | AMX-013 Zssa Dain | AMX-016 Gaza-W | AMX-102C Zssa Kai | AMX-121 Quel Doga | Doga | MSN-03 Jagd Doga | MSN-X4 Bagwi Doga