The MSA-005K Guncannon Detector (often misspelled as "Dictector", "Gun Cannon DT") is a prototype artillery mobile suit, it is first featured in Z-MSV, the design is later updated and featured in novel Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Guncannon Detector was designed with firepower in mind and is equipped with several beam weapons. Its main armaments are a pair of beam cannons, with a beam gun attached to the right shoulder armor for mid-to-close range combat. Other weapons include a pair of head-mounted vulcan guns and a beam rifle, with a grenade launcher mounted under the barrel. The Guncannon Detector can transform into "Cannon Mode" by flipping its huge backpack unit over its head. It uses the transforming system from the MSA-005 Methuss. A noticeable weakness of the Detector is its lack of any sort of melee weapons, putting it at a disadvantage in close combat.
- 30mm Vulcan Gun
- These head-mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against the thick armor of a MS, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles like helicopters or fighters.
- Beam Gun
- Mounted on the right shoulder armor is a beam gun intended to function as a mid-to-close range weapon. It has less power the beam cannons, but a higher rate of fire and, because of the shorter barrel, a more scattered shot. It is still powerful enough to destroy a MS with a well-placed shot.
- Beam Cannon
- Mounted over the Guncannon Detector's shoulders are a pair of beam cannons. These weapons are extremely powerful, with one shot being enough to destroy a MS. They also have an unusually high rate of fire due to a pair of cooling vents on the back of the mobile suit which keep the cannons from overheating. These beam cannons replace the 137mm rocket launchers when equipped.
- 137mm Rocket Launcher
- The Guncannon Detector has the option to switch out the beam cannons for a pair of MS-grade 137mm rocket launchers. While they do not have neither the penetration power nor the rate of fire of beam weapons, the rockets are not affected by the line of sight and any type of anti-beam coating.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Making use of the E-cap technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle can penetrate even the thickest armor and destroy its target with a single shot. Only surface that has been treated with anti-beam coating can withstand the beam rifle's shot.
- Grenade Launcher
- The Guncannon Detector's beam rifle is fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. The grenades are not very effective against large ships which has thick armor, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons that can shred a MS with few direct hits.
In UC 0087, this mobile suit was developed for Karaba as an artillery mobile suit suitable for use in guerilla combat. It is able to take a shooting position in an instant. Two units were built and dropped by shuttle to North America. While one machine was destroyed in a failed landing attempt, the other was safely collected by Karaba. It was painted with a red color scheme and called Guncannon Detector by Hayato Kobayashi.
In UC 0096, Guncannon Detectors are seen deployed by the Earth Federation during the assault of Torrington Base, where they disabled multiple Zeon MS carrier units. One of the Guncannon Detector along with a Nemo were eventually destroyed by a combination attack form a Dom Tropen, Desert Zaku and Dwadge from the Zeon remnant forces.
Notes and Trivia
|Gundam Mk-II's variation|
FA-178 Full Armor Gundam Mk-II
MSA-004 Nemo II | MSA-004K Nemo III
MSA-005K Guncannon Detector | MSA-005S Methuss Kai
|Rick Dias's variation|
MSA-099-2 Rick Dias II
|Hyaku Shiki's variations|
MSR-00100 Hyaku Shiki Kai | MSR-00100S Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type
|Z Gundam's variations|
MSZ-006-X Prototype Ζ Gundam | MSZ-007 Mass Production Type Ζ Gundam | MSZ-008 ZII
SE-DJ-1R Dijeh SE-R
MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III