Technology and Combat Characteristics
The Methuss was the first true transformable mobile suit produced by Anaheim Electronics for the AEUG under their "Project Zeta". The suit was used to test the transformation system which would later be used in the powerful MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam and the MSZ-008 ZII. Like the Zeta Gundam, the Methuss was very fast and agile in mobile armor mode. However, it was only a prototype unit and never was intended to be mass-produced, so the Methuss was only armed with two beam guns mounted on its forearms (it is worth noting that they are "beam guns" in shape only - because they are hardwired into the Methuss' generator, it's believed that they are at least as powerful as standard beam rifles of the time) and six beam sabers. Aside from technology testing and combat, the Methuss also provided use as a support machine, acting as a second power generator for the upgraded Mega Bazooka Launcher.
- Beam Gun
- This MS carries two beam guns, one mounted in each forearm. When in standby mode the beam guns are stored in the forearms. When in combat the beam guns flip out in a forward position. The particle beam fired from a beam gun can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Unlike normal beam gun which is powered by E-pac, these are directly linked to the Methuss' generator. Each beam gun is rated with a power output of 2.0 MW.
- Beam Saber
- Beam Saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Methuss carries 6 beam sabers, three stored in each leg where the recharge racks are located.
Despite the Methuss being a prototype it was still assigned to the AEUG flagship Argama and used first by Reccoa Londe in the year UC 0087. Afterwards it was assigned to young pilot trainee Fa Yuiry. As she wasn't a terribly good pilot, the Methuss was often heavily damaged, but it turned out to be easy and quick to repair so it would be ready for the next engagement. Amazingly, Fa and the Methuss managed to survive the Gryps Conflict.
The Methuss briefly remained in service during the First Neo Zeon War as well, again used by Fa against the Neo Zeon task force lead by Mashymre Cello. The Neo Zeon attacked the Argama while it was berthed at the Shangri-La colony and, following the Argama's escape into space, the Methuss was heavily damaged. Fa, torn between her duty to the AEUG and her desire to take care of then-mentally-crippled Kamille Bidan, left the Argama and returned to Shangri-La. This is the last appearance of the Methuss; presumably, it was abandoned by Fa and/or collected by junk scrappers.
- MSA-005S Methuss Kai
- MSA-005K Guncannon Detector
- MSA-005M Methuss Mariner
- MSA-005 Methuss (Avey Alva use)
Notes and Trivia
- In Super Robot Wars F and F Final, Methuss serves as one of the few "Medic Units", meaning it has the ability to repair HP of an allied unit at the expense of it's own turn but with no cost in terms of unit energy.