The MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III is an AEUG prototype attack-use mobile suit, it is featured in the original design series Zeta Gundam Mobile Suit Variations (Z-MSV). The "Gundam Mk-III" also refers to three separate machines created by the AEUG, the Earth Federation Forces, and Titans.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the AEUG successfully stole the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II from the Titans, two of the stolen units were sent to Anaheim Electronics to study, reverse engineer and duplicate their technology . Engineers found that the Mk-II was a return to the concept of a "Humanoid weapon as an enhanced space suits", the same concept behind the earliest MS. It was also known that the Mk-II suffered from high structural complexity and low airframe strength, problems specific to the EFF's technology.
A group of technical experts created the Gundam Mk-III, which goes on to address the issues found on the Mk-II. It featured an improved version of the movable frame used on the Mk-II. The frame, which was once very complex, was simplified so that its vulnerability was reduced. It was then thoroughly examined and brought back to the planned strength while not compromising previous improvements.
The Gundam MK-III has a pair of wing binders which mounts several thrusters to increase speed and mobility. It also has lighter Gundarium used in the construction of its frame and armor. Furthermore, considerable improvements were made in order to bring back organic movements to the joints, similar to those of the human body.
It is possible to apply Anti-Beam Coating to the MS, as shown with one of the units produced by Anaheim. Because of the coating, Unit 8 has a vivid red color, the same color used by the AEUG on their RMS-099 Rick Dias. It was also said that the unit would had been intended to be Quattro Bajeena's personal unit.
In term of offensive capability, its armaments consists of shoulder mounted beam cannons, a beam rifle, a shield to counter standard-issue shot technology, and two beam sabers mounted on the shield.
- Beam Cannon
- Mounted on each shoulder is a beam cannon, which are connected directly to the mobile suits movable frame so that energy supply and fire control can be performed without using the mobile suit's hands.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle used by the MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III is upgraded from that used by the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II and has a higher power rating.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- Beam Saber
- Mounted on the shield are two beam sabers. This combination allows the Gundam Mk-III to quickly switch between defense and close quarter combat.
The Mk-III's development's team at Anaheim, led by Doctor Fujita, had intended for the Mk-III to become the "rough draft" of a new generation of MS. It was the Mk-II which the Mk-III took inspiration from, and was also designed to surpass it. Thanks to its improvements in maneuverability and defensive capabilities to the Mk-II, the Mk-III was considered the latest evolution of general-purpose MS at the time.
Several Mk-III were produced by Anaheim, and final adjustment was made to improve its airframe. After Char Aznable speech to the Federation Assembly in Dakar, it was anticipated that the Titans would double down on their war effort. It was decided that Unit 8 would be flown from Granada to Side 2 and transferred to AEUG's Collier Fleet.
Notes and Trivia
- The MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III is one of many hidden units within the Super Robot Wars series, its most prominent appearances being Super Robot Wars R and Super Robot Wars D. It is piloted by Four Murasame in R and Roux Louka in D.
- The "F" acronym in the model number stands for "Fujita".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Total Commentary Gundam Encyclopedia Ver.1.5, page 252
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.zeonic-republic.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/lost_red01a.jpg
|Gundam Mk-II's variation|
FA-178 Full Armor Gundam Mk-II
MSA-004 Nemo II | MSA-004K Nemo III
MSA-005K Guncannon Detector | MSA-005S Methuss Kai
|Rick Dias's variation|
MSA-099-2 Rick Dias II
|Hyaku Shiki's variations|
MSR-00100 Hyaku Shiki Kai | MSR-00100S Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type
|Z Gundam's variations|
MSZ-006-X Prototype Ζ Gundam | MSZ-007 Mass Production Type Ζ Gundam | MSZ-008 ZII
SE-DJ-1R Dijeh SE-R
MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III
|Anaheim Laboratory Log Mechanics|
MSA-005X-1 Methuss X-1 | MSA-005X-2 Methuss X-2 | MSA-005X-3 Methuss X-3 | MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III | RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79N GM Custom | RMS-179 GM II
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
FXA-08R-X1 Proto Mega Rider
RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-80PR-4 Pale Rider DII
MS-09RSS Dowas Custom | MS-14J ReGelgu | MS-17 Galbaldy α | MS-17R Galbaldy α High Mobility Type | MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom