MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type
Technology & Combat Characteristics
At nearly twice the mass of the GN-005 Gundam Virtue, the mainstay mobile suit of the Human Reform League is comparable in design to a bipedal tank, markedly less advanced and less maneuverable than the mass-production types of the other major powers. Though the unit's heavy armor and firepower are relics from an older generation of combat vehicles, the preservation of these throwback features translates to practical dependability in general-purpose warfare, the reasoning behind its continued deployment. It's high quality manufacturing is also greatly appreciated by the soldiers who use it as well as it's very low mechanical failure rate and short sortie time.
Unlike the MSJ-04 Fanton, the Tieren no longer uses fossil fuels as a primary power source. The Tieren also departs from the Fanton as it has a lot of variants that are used for many different purposes (including for space), whereas the Fanton only exists as a ground mobile suit.
The Tieren's basic operation system is unified across all of its variants, which makes it easier for pilots to adapt to different machine types. The Tieren's cockpit is screenless and relatively cramped with the pilot controlling the suit in a standing position. Due to the screenless cockpit, the pilot has to wear a helmet which connects all external video feed and other data directly to his or her retina. The helmet also possesses the ability to interpret inputs based on minute movements from the pilot's head or eyes. The visual appearance of the pilot is said to look like a dead body ready for transport and as a result, other armed forces occasionally nickname the Tieren "the coffin for the living". The large panoramic screen cockpit system used on the MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi was initially planned to be adopted in more units, however due to the large amount space required as well as the difficulty for general pilots to use the system, the developement team had the plans postponed.
In many militaries, the model number of a variant is a letter abbreviation of that type's name added to the original number. It is different for the Human Reform League military which uses an alphabetical order for designation with no relation to the actual variant type. Currently the categories are: A -> ground type, B -> two seater ground type, C -> high mobility type, D -> two seater high mobility type, E -> space type, F -> two seater space type. Despite the the general rule above, exceptions has been made for a few specialized variants where their letters indicated their use type. These are LC -> long range distance type (Long-range Cannon Type) and SP -> super soldier type (Super-Pilot Type). The alphabetical category also appears to have been reset for the new "06III" generation of Tierens, as the MSJ-06III-A Tieren All Region Type restarts with the A designation at the end despite not being a ground mobile suit.
- 200 x 25mm Smoothbore Gun
- Tieren's main weapon that's equipped on its right arm. It uses 200mm caliber solid ammunition. It has a variety of secondary ammunition as well, which includes flares, grenades, high explosive, anti-armor, anti-air, and rocket-propelled grenades. In addition, a 12.7mm coaxial machine gun is also installed underneath the barrel of the main gun. The machinegun has been adjusted so that its bullet trajectory synchronizes with the main gun up until a range of 2000 meters. By using this, it is possible to know the specific landing point of the bullet which in turn increase the accuracy of the main gun as well.
- 30mm Machine Gun
- A 6-barreled weapon built into the left chest that fires solid bullets. Despite having a low attack power, its high firing rate means that it is suitable for anti-personal or anti-aircraft purpose. In addition, it can also be used for suppressive fire against other mobile suits. While it is not considered to be a main weapon, it has a wide range of possible applications which increases the versatility of the Tieren. A built in external power supply unit is placed on the right chest section.
- Bazooka (550mm Missile Launcher)
- A weapon that fires 550mm caliber missiles. It uses a double barrel type of magazine that can hold up to ten missiles at a time. The rear barrel can be adjusted via a slide based on the range of the target and the ammunition type currently used. The Bazooka was rarely used while fighting the Gundams, since the Gundams' radar jamming makes missile guidance technology useless. It is always referred to as the "Bazooka" among soldiers due to its shape.
- Carbon Blade
- A melee weapon resembling a katar, but with a double-ended bow-shaped blade that parallels the grip. The blade is made out of a super strong of carbon. Normally docked on the panel behind the waist when not in use. The weapon takes advantage of the Tieren's strength and weight behind it. Can be used as a shield with limited capabilities, and can completely throw the opponent off balance. The blade was not designed for cutting, rather it was designed for the purpose of bludgeoning enemy equipment to pieces.
- Leg Shield
- Due to Tieren's immense weight, it could instantly become a deathtrap if it were to lose its mobility. To prevent that worst case scenario, the Tieren is equipped with a Leg Shield to protect its lower joints. While it is only equipped on the left leg, it is possible to immedietly direct the shield into the direction of the attack and provide adequate protection. If the Tieren were to shoot in squatting position, the shield is large enough to provide cover for the entire body. Stable fire can also be enabled by this position since the main gun can be placed on top of the shield.
The Tieren Ground Type was developed to replace the older MSJ-04 Fanton as the Human Reform League's main mobile suit. It has been in operation for ten years by the year A.D. 2307. During this time, the Tieren Ground Type was used by the HRL as its front line unit against the 3rd generation Gundam units of Celestial Being, although with little success. The Tieren series featured many variants however it was ultimately replaced by the vastly more advanced GN-X series in the year A.D. 2308. The GNX-704T Ahead that debuted in A.D. 2312 was considered be the successor of the Tieren series and was developed by a team from the Human Reform League that also developed the Tieren All Region Type.
By the year AD 2312, the Tieren Ground Type units were vastly outdated thus they were put out of service and replaced by the MSJ-06II-C/B Tieren High Mobility Type B in the Earth Sphere Federation Army. Despite this, some Tieren Ground Types were acquired and deployed by the anti-Federation organization Katharon.
- This suit's name means "Iron Man" in Mandarin Chinese; however, depending on which homophone of "tie" is used, this suit's name may also roughly mean "close to the body," or "body hugging."
- The Tieren's design is very reminiscent of Zaku designs, with its slotted helmet, mono-eye and shoulder-mounted shields; the model number is also very similar, MS-06 compared to MSJ-06II.
- The Tieren Ground Type's leg shield is named "Shield" in its High Grade 1/144 manual. In the 1/100 manual it is called the "Leg Shield" instead.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 1 Novel 1 "Celestial Being"
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Volume 4 ""
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Human Reform League Developement History Section
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Mechanics Section
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Model Number Section
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - 200 x 25mm Smoothbore Gun Section
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - 30mm Machine Gun Section
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Bazooka Section
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Carbon Blade Section
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 1/100 MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type model kit manual - Leg Shield Section
- ↑ Gundam 00 2nd Mechanics