Technology & Combat Characteristics
Like the MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type, the Space Type has more in line with a heavily armored assault vehicle that happens to have arms and legs. Before the Tieren was deployed, the Human Reform League used the fossil fuel-based MSJ-04 Fanton, which did not have a space-use variant. As the Solar Energy Wars intensified however, the Human Reform League began developing the Tieren Space Type for use in space battles. Even though more than ten years have passed since its deployment, the Tieren Space Type had been gradually improved over time and is still deployed. While some of its features had become obsolete, it's technology is well tested and easy to repair. The Tieren series also uses a unified flight control system across all of its variants, making the Tieren Space Type a very easy unit to control and maneuver. In fact, HRL's pilots moving from a ground type Tieren or its variant to the Tieren Space Type can learn the control twice as fast compared to similar transition in other blocs, in spite of the large difference between the control manoeuvres required for space and earth.
Though the Space Type variant deviates little from the overall structure of the standard Tieren, the addition of nine rotatable thrusters permits adequate multi-directional maneuverability in weightlessness for function in space combat, with primary thrust provided by the installations on the dorsal box.
The Tieren's cockpit is screenless and relatively cramped, with the pilot using a head mounted display to view all the information and data needed for operation. The Human Reform League is currently looking to implement alternate control and cockpit systems. One such system under consideration is the panaromic cockpit and information processing system used in the MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi. However the implementation is unsuitable for general pilots as of 2307, as such further development is needed before it can be implemented. By the year 2312, the system had been successfully implemented for general use on the MSJ-06III-A Tieren All Region Type.
- 200 x 25 mm Caliber Smooth-bore Gun (Space Type)
- The main weapon of Tieren Space Type. It's capable of rapid firing the solid 200mm solid bullets it loads. In addition, a wide array of ammunition can be loaded including armor piercing, flares, grenades, rocket propelled munitions, anti-aircraft and others. On either side of the barrel, there are two sheets of heat sinks that are made of super hard carbon material that can also function as a blade. The bladed heat sink is the biggest difference between the Ground Type and the Space Type version of the weapon.
- 30mm Machine Gun
- This projectile weapon is commonly found mounted on the left part of the chest of the Human Reform League's Tieren units. It fires solid 30mm rounds. While its power is weak, because it can be fired rapidly it can be used for anti-personal and anti-aircraft purposes. In addition, it can also be used as supression fire against other mobile suits. While it is not considered to be a major weapon, it has a wide range of applications that increases the general versatility of the Tieren
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tanks
- Carbon Net Launcher
- Optional equipment mounted under the 30mm machine gun on the left side. Two carbon net cartridges can be fired from the launcher to immobilize and capture enemy units.
- Gel Launcher
- Optional equipment mounted on the left forearm. The quad-barrel launches capsules which in mid-flight fires an immobilizing substance at the target, hardening upon contact.
- Carbon Wire Launcher
- Optional equipment mounted on the right chest. Used for the Gundam capture mission alongside the Carbon Net Launcher and Gel Launcher.
One of the primary duties of the Tieren Space Type was the defense of the HRL's orbital elevator, protecting it from various enemy forces such as terrorists. A squad of Tieren Space Types performed such a mission on the day of the tenth anniversary celebration for HRL's Orbital Elevator. They failed to intercept the terrorists but there were no losses thanks to the intervention of the Gundams Kyrios and Virtue.
At a later date a large squad of Tieren Space Types would be fielded in a mission led Sergei Smirnov in order to capture a Gundam. For this mission, they were equipped with special equipment - the carbon net launcher, the gel launcher and the carbon wire launcher. The squad almost succeeded in the capture of the Kyrios and the Virtue, however previously unknown abilities of both the Gundams and their Meisters led to the mission ending in failure with heavy losses.
The Tieren Space Type would not be seeing many more engagements with the Gundams as they would be replaced by the GNX-603T GN-X in anti-Gundam operations.
After the establishment of the Earth Sphere Federation the Tieren Space Type would be completely phased out of military service in favor of newer GN powered mobile suits. However in AD 2312 the outdated Tieren Space Type would still be used the anti-government group Katharon, but they would prove to be ineffective in dealing with more advanced GN Drive Tau units such as the GNX-609T GN-XIII and GNX-704T Ahead.
In the year AD 2314 several Tieren Space Types were seen among the forces deployed in the final desperate defense against the ELS. Due to the outdated nature of the Tieren Space Type, it is highly likely that many fielded were either destroyed or assimilated.
Notes & Trivia
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 High Grade 1/144 MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type model kit manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 High Grade 1/144 MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi model kit manual
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00I 2314 Mechanics|
GN-006/SA Cherudim Gundam SAGA | GN-007/AL Arios Gundam Ascalon | GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel | GNZ-001 GRM Gundam | GNZ-001E GRM Gundam E | MSJ-06YIII-B Tieren Kyitwo
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
GNR-000 GN Sefer
|Earth Sphere Federation|
GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GN-007/AL Arios Gundam Ascalon