The MSM-08 Zogok is a prototype amphibious mobile suit from the original design series MSV and made its animated debut in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, and later appeared in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
As Zeon prepared for its massive invasion of the Earth Federation Force's underground military headquarters of Jaburo, located along the Amazon River in South America, the MIP Company military engineers stationed at California Base started developing a series of specialized mobile suits to aid in the assault. One of these designs was the Zogok, an amphibious mobile suit loosely based on the Z'Gok. The Zogok, armed with only melee weapons, was designed primarily for close combat. The Zogok featured ten razor sharp boomerang cutter blades on the top of its head, and its hands were mounted on extendable telescopic arms that can do a "rocket punch".
- Boomerang Cutter
- Ten boomerang-shaped blades are mounted in the Zogok's head. The blades are launched at high-velocity to serve as a mid-range weapon. The power of these weapons is sufficient to moderately damage the armor of mobile suits that are 10 years newer.
- Extendable Hand
- The Extendable Hand is Zogok's unique features and main Close-Quarter-Combat weapon. This telescopic arms main could crush through most armor with its sheer power - additional force and length to the attack, a critical factor for a melee oriented mobile suit.
- Heat Sword
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf line of mobile suits. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk the heat sword is a blade that is heated to high temperatures in order to increase it's cutting capacity. The Heat Sword was designed after a broadsword so its blade is longer than the tomahawk allowing for a greater range of attack.
- An explosive weapon with a rocket propelled warhead, it was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon. Useful both in space and under gravity, it was mainly deployed for anti-ship attacks during the early days of the war. The Sturm Faust likely made a good anti-mobile suit weapon during the latter days of the war, as Zeon mobile suits could be equipped with both a Sturm Faust and a more typical ranged weapon for greater versatility. As a non-guided weapon, it is difficult to hit targets with high mobility.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The Giant bazooka is the same model used by the MS-09B Dom. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine. A single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle used by the Marasai and Hizack. The beam rifle is powered by a rechargeable energy cap and capable of firing concentrated mega particles, a shot can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist beam attacks. During the events in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: The Noble Shroud, a Zeon Remnant's Zogok unit was armed with a beam rifle which resembled BR-87A model used by RMS-108 Marasai.
The few Zogoks that were constructed at California Base did not participate in the assault on Jaburo because Zeon Commander Char Aznable discovered a secret entrance to the subterranean base and launched the attack much earlier than originally planned. After the One Year War ended a few Zogoks eventually wound up in the hands of civilians, and can be seen in the series Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.
During UC 0096, at least one Zogok was used by the Zeon remnants during the assault of Torrington Base. This unit was heavily damaged in battle by the RX-160S Byarlant Custom, it retreated after a AMS-129M Zee Zulu took its heat sword to combat the Byarlant.
Notes and Trivia