The MSZ-006-3B Zeta Gundam 3B Type (also "Gray Zeta") is a variant of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam piloted by former Zeon ace Shin Matsunaga (codename "Gray Wolf"), who calls it "Buster", and appears in the Gundam Evolve 9 CGI episode where it engages in battle with the QRX-006 Geminus, assisted by two other Zeta units.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
For the most part, the unit itself has the appearance of a standard Zeta, save for two differences: The tail binder, instead of lying down the back in Mobile Suit mode, instead splits into two horizontal airfoils behind the head; and the thrusters on the lower leg have three small exhausts in place of the standard two. Its shield is considerably wider, covering a greater portion of the unit's underside in Waverider mode, and has two rapid-fire beam machine guns built in. The shield no longer serves as the unit's nose - instead, a large beam launcher is mounted in its place, which detaches and is hand-carried in Mobile Suit mode. The unit is equipped with the same beam-deflection coating as the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki, which gives it its yellow color (much to the chagrin of its pilot, who wanted it to be a gray color). It is fitted with the split-panel cockpit screen of old MS like the Zaku rather than a modern panoramic monitor.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Similar to the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, The Gray Zeta is equipped with a pair 60mm Vulcan Gun nozzles located in its head. Its use varies in a manner of situations, such as shooting incoming missile attacks, reserving primary weapons for decisive combat situations. It has been proven to save ammunition and in the hands of a capable pilot, a crucial weapon for any situation. The vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters. The 60mm vulcan guns are operable in mobile suit mode only.
- 2-tube Grenade Launcher
- Just like the standard armament of MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, the Gray Zeta is equipped with a pair of 2-tube Grenade Launchers that is proven to be a significantly important armament of the Mobile Suit. These are self-propelled Grenade rounds with a firepower strong enough to destroy a Mobile Suit, and is proven to be very effective against Mobile Weapons equipped with I-Field Generators, which makes beam weapons useless. Each tube carries two rounds, meaning each grenade launcher carries four grenades, for a total of eight rounds before reloading.
- A.E.BLASH XB-G-35/Du.105 Beam Saber/Beam Gun
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of most MS ever developed. The pair employed by the Zeta Gundam 3B are stored in hip recharge racks, hand carried in use, and have a power rating of 0.65 MW. However, these beam sabers are unique in that in waverider mode, they double as fire-linked beam guns, partially extending from the recharge racks instead of fully deploying, with a total power rating of 1.3 MW.
- Large Beam Launcher
- Instead of a beam rifle, the Zeta Gundam the 3B Type is equipped with a Large Beam Launcher, which replace Zeta's Hyper Mega Launcher. It has a much greater output than the Rapid-Fire Beam Machine Guns, and can be use in both Waverider and MS.
- A standard defensive feature of most mobile suits is an arm-mounted shield. Originally a thick piece of extra armor designed to stop physical rounds, shield technology has been forced to adapt to the development of beam weapons by incorporating an anti-beam coating. The anti-beam coating allows shields to block energy beam attacks, however with each hit taken it gets worn down until rendered useless. The Gray Zeta's unique shield serves as the underside in waverider mode.
- Beam Machine Gun
- The Zeta 3B type carried two Beam Machine Guns, which is normally mounted on the shield, but also can be hand-carried.
Special Equipment & Features
- Beam Deflection Coating
- The technology coats multiple layers of high specific heat capacity material on top of the armor that evaporates in high temperature. It provides a type of sacrificial protection against any type of beam weapon. However, due to its nature of ablating when defending against great heat, ABC can only tolerate a few hits to the same spot.
After the Gryps Conflict, three Zeta Gundam was made and assigned to AEUG for whipping out Titans remnants. The Zeta Gundam 3B Type is piloted by Shin Matsunaga (Gray Wolf), a Newtype and former Zeon's Ace. Together with Amuro Ray's white MSZ-006-3A Zeta Gundam 3A Type and Yurii Ajissah's red MSZ-006-P2/3C Zeta Gundam P2/3C Type, Shin confronted the monstrous mobile armor, QRX-006 Geminus. During the subsequent battle, Gray Wolf pilots his Zeta into the mobile armor in an attempt to expose the enemy's movement patterns to his allies.
Notes and Trivia
- Hidetaka Tenjin, the mechanical designer for Gundam Evolve, stated in a 2008 interview with Newtype Magazine that the Gray Zeta was intended to have a color scheme similar to the Zeta Plus C1. The main colors of the suit ended up bright orange due to Tenjin's protanopia colorblindness, and the 'Gray Zeta' name was passed as a "light-hearted joke".