Technology & Combat Characteristics
Unlike the original Zeta Gundam, Red Zeta's armor sports a heavily 'spiked' look. This is especially noticeable in the tail binder, which is spiked and points upwards in mobile suit mode. Its pistol also bears spikes. Red Zeta's most radical feature is its cockpit. Equipped with the Psyco Neutralizer, the cockpit can change from a standard panoramic cockpit & linear seat by retracting the seat and manual controls. This leaves the pilot free-standing (or floating, in zero-g environments), with their head in a hollow, transparent, hemispherical device, and a number of cables attach from the seat into the back of the pilot's flight suit. In this mode, the movements of the unit follow the pilot's own movements. The Psyco Neutralizer is actually an advanced model of the Bio-Sensor, allowing the pilot to fully control the MS with precise movement. This system also allows the pilot to psychically interfere with other Newtype weaponry, such as when Yurii managed to take control of the QRX-006 Geminus's arm and finally defeat the monstrous mobile armor (The RX-0 Unicorn Gundam is known to perform a similar feat). However, the system is highly unstable and can be overloaded by powerful psycowaves. The unit can be equipped with a (colour-matched) single-stage booster system, allowing the Red Zeta to make orbit otherwise unassisted. The Psyco Neutralizer is considered exceptionally advanced for Gryps Conflict-era technology, and as a result, some people question its existence.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Like the original, P2/3C Zeta Gundam features a head mounted vulcan gun system. The purpose of the vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective as a means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition. The vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters. The vulcan guns are operable in mobile suit mode only.
- Beam Pistol
- While most mobile suits feature a single large beam rifle, P2/3C Zeta Gundam is instead equipped with a beam pistol. Despite its small size, the pistol is powerful enough to destroy an enemy unit with a single shot. The beam pistol is also capable of emitting a beam knife from its barrel, allowing the P2/3C Zeta Gundam to use it as melee weapon should the situation call for it.
- A.E.BLASH XB-G-35/Du.105 Beam Saber/Beam Gun
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam. The pair employed by the P2/3C Zeta Gundam are stored in hip recharge racks, are hand carried in use, and have a power rating of 0.65 MW. However the beam sabers are unique in that in waverider mode the beam sabers double as fire-linked beam guns, partially extending from the recharge racks instead of fully deploying, with a total power rating of 1.3 MW.
- A standard defensive feature of most mobile suits is an arm-mounted shield. Originally a thick piece of extra armor designed to stop physical rounds, shield technology has been forced to adapt to the development of beam weapons by incorporating an anti-beam coating. The anti-beam coating allows shields to block energy beam attacks, however with each hit taken it gets worn down until rendered useless. The P2/3C Zeta Gundam 's unique shield serves as the machines nose in waverider mode.
- Psyco Neutralizer
- The Psyco Neutralizer is the advanced model of Bio-sensor System installed on the Zeta. It allows the pilot to fully control the MS with precise movement and allows the pilot to psychically interfere with other Newtype weaponry. But the instability of this system make its very dangerous to the users.
After the Gryps Conflict, three Zeta Gundam was made and assigned to AEUG for wiping out Titans remnants. The Zeta Gundam P2/3C Type is piloted by a young Newtype girl named Yurii Ajissah (Codename "Red Snake"), who holds her squadron leader, White Unicorn, in high regard. The unit's original pilot was named Johnny Ridden, but he was replaced by Yurii since it required a newtype to operate. By fully mastering the power of Psyco Neutralizer system, Yurii managed to destroy the monstrous mobile armor QRX-006 Geminus; although the Red Zeta was also destroyed in the process.
Notes and Trivia
- Red Zeta's Psyco Neutralizer cockpit design is a reference to the Mobile Trace System as featured in the Future Century's Mobile Fighters from G Gundam TV series.