Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Near the end of First Neo Zeon War, the ΖΖ Gundam was modified into the MSZ-010S Enhanced ΖΖ Gundam. It featured a larger backpack with four more powerful rocket thrusters, and additional vernier thrusters. While the original had 21-tube missile launchers on the backpack, limited to one missile per launch tube, the Enhanced version replaced them with a pair of 18-tube missile launchers, with each tube carrying a two-missile magazine for additional salvos. Anaheim Electronics further upgraded the MSZ-010S Enhanced ΖΖ Gundam with additional external armor, tested in the FA-010A FAZZ, and weapons into the FA-010S Full Armor ZZ Gundam, which corrected its structure problem.
- 60mm Double Vulcan Gun
- As with all mobile suits that trace their lineage back to the RX-78-2 Gundam, the Enhanced ZZ Gundam features a head mounted vulcan gun system, specifically a system of 60mm double vulcan guns, indicating that there are two pairs for a total of four guns. The purpose of the vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While they can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit, they serve much better as a means to shoot down incoming missiles. The vulcan guns can also act as an offensive weapon for small, lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters. The 60mm double vulcan guns are operable in mobile suit mode only.
- High Mega Cannon
- Mounted in the center of the Enhanced ZZ Gundam's head is a destructive High Mega Cannon. This particle beam weapon has a power rating of 50 MW, making it the most powerful beam weapon used by a mobile suit during the First Neo Zeon War, as well as one of the most powerful weapon mounted on a mobile suits ever. The power of the cannon's beam can seriously damage a mobile suit with even a glancing hit, and as shown when used against Chara Soon's AMX-104 R-Jarja it can completely destroy a standard mobile suit shield making it impossible to block the beam. However despite being a powerful weapon, its power is also a weakness as the ZZ's fusion reactor is unable to handle repeated usage of the high mega cannon. The high mega cannon is operable in mobile suit mode only.
- Hyper Beam Saber
- The Enhanced ZZ Gundam mounts in backpack recharge racks a pair of hyper beam sabers. The hilts of these beam sabers are easily three times greater the size of other beam sabers in use during the First Neo Zeon War, and are capable of emitting a much longer and more powerful saber that can easily cut through several mobile suits in a single swing. The Hyper Beam Sabers also double as beam cannons when attached to the backpack. The beam cannon mode can be used in MS form, G-Fortress mode or when the Core Base is separated. The Hyper Beam Saber has a power rating of 1.1 MW each, while the beam cannon mode have a power rating of 10 MW each.
- 18-tube Missile Launcher
- The ZZ Gundam mounts a pair of missile launchers on its backpack in mobile suit mode, and on its main body in G-Fortress mode as well as on the Core Base when separated. Each missile launcher possesses 18-tubes (unlike the ZZ Gundam's 21-tubes) that are loaded with AMA-13S small missiles. Also the FXA-07GB Neo Core Fighter, which serves as the cockpit for the mobile suit and the Core Base, also mounts a pair of missile launchers that load with AMA-09S small missiles.
- Wing Shield
- The Enhanced ZZ Gundam mounts a pair of shields on its forearms, they serve the purpose of protecting the ZZ from attacks that it cannot dodge. They also serve as wings/control surfaces for the G-Fortress and Core Top to increase mobility in the atmosphere.
- Double Beam Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon of the Enhanced ZZ Gundam is an unique double beam rifle, which possess two barrels and a cockpit on its back. As with all of the Gundam's beam weapons, the double beam rifle possesses an unusually high power rating, with the beams from each individual barrel having a power rating of 10.6 MW for a combined total of 21.2 MW. The double beam rifle mounts on the main body when the Enhanced ZZ Gundam is in G-Fortress mode or when the Core Top is separated, however the barrels are rotated backwards and positioned underneath the body while its cockpit will face forward. This cockpit can be used to pilot the G-Fortress or the Core Top but is inoperable in mobile suit mode, so anyone in the double beam rifle's cockpit when the Enhanced ZZ Gundam transforms is essentially stuck on the butt of a dangerous beam rifle.
Special Equipment & Features
- A technological variant of the Psycommu System developed by Anaheim Electronics. Although its full capabilities are unknown, its primary purpose was to allow a Newtype pilot to more easily interface with his mobile suit via mental commands. The bio-sensor could also have a rather surprising side effect when the pilot was mentally and emotionally focused enough (usually when angry or upset) to cause the bio-sensor to amplify the power, speed and strength of the mobile suit for a short period of time.
- Core Fighter System
- Separable Transformation Components
After Judau and a number of AEUG members "hijacked" the SCVA-76 Nahel Argama, they arrived on Axis right in the middle of civil war between Haman Karn and Glemy Toto's followers. The conflict soon became a three-way battle, with Judau facing various new powerful units like the AMX-014 Döven Wolf and NZ-000 Queen Mansa. The ZZ Gundam was in need of an upgrade.
It had long been decided (even before the ZZ Gundam was finished by one year) that to fix the unit's inherent weak structure, a full armor option was needed. However, some minor improvements to the ZZ itself must be made before the full armor components can be applied. The upgrade re-designated the Gundam to be MSZ-010S Enhanced ZZ Gundam.
When the unit was upgraded is unknown, because Astonaige Medoz introduced Judau directly to the Full Armor ZZ Gundam. However, during the last battle with Harman in her AMX-004 Qubeley, Judau ejected the external armor and fought in the Enhanced ZZ Gundam in order to increase speed and maneuverability. The fight resulted in a draw with both machines disabling each other, however the war was over as Haman Karn couldn't hope to escape the surrounding Federation forces with her damaged Qubeley. Ultimately, instead of surrendering Haman crashed the Qubeley into an asteroid fragment destroying both the mobile suit and herself.
Notes & Trivia
- The Enhanced ZZ Gundam's existence as an upgrade is an out-of-series classification and middleground between the ZZ and its Full Armor form, being never mentioned nor seen within the TV series. The ZZ Gundam appears as though it were never upgraded through the entirety of the series.