Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MSZ-010S ZZ-GR is the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam repaired after the First Neo Zeon War using modified parts from RGM-86R GM III to replace its destroyed Core Base module. Despite the additional large fuel pods, the modified parts are largely inferior to original version. It's unable to use the high mega cannon, has pair of standard beam sabers instead of the hyper beam sabers, and no longer possesses missile launchers.
- High Mega Cannon
- Mounted in the center of the ZZ-GR's head is a high mega cannon. However it is unable to function properly.
- 60mm Double Vulcan Gun
- As with all mobile suits that trace their linage back to the RX-78-2 Gundam, the ZZ-GR features a head mounted vulcan gun system. The ZZ-GR's vulcan gun system is a 60mm double vulcan gun, indicating that there are two pairs for a total of four vulcan guns. The purpose of the vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While they can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit, they serve much better as a means to shoot down incoming missiles. The vulcan guns can also act as an offensive weapon for small, lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters. The 60mm double vulcan guns is operable in mobile suit mode only.
- Double Beam Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon of the ZZ-GR is a double beam rifle, a unique weapon that possess two barrels and a cockpit at its back. As with all of the ZZ-GR's beam weapons, the double beam rifle possesses an unusually high power rating, with the beams from each individual barrel having a power rating of 10.6 MW for a combined total of 21.2 MW. The double beam rifle mounts on the main body when the ZZ-GR is in G-Fortress mode or when the Core Top is separated, however the barrels are rotated backwards and positioned underneath the body while its cockpit will face forward. This cockpit can be used to pilot the G-Fortress or the Core Top but is inoperable in mobile suit mode, so anyone in the double beam rifle's cockpit when the ZZ-GR transforms is essentially stuck on the butt of a dangerous beam rifle.
- Beam Saber
- The ZZ-GR mounts in the backpack recharge racks a pair of beam sabers.
- Wing Shield
- The ZZ-GR mounts a pair of shields on its forearms, they serve the purpose of protecting the ZZ-GR from attacks that it cannot dodge. They also serve as wings/control surfaces for the G-Fortress and Core Top to increase mobility in the atmosphere.
Special Equipment & Features
- Core Fighter System
- Separable Transformation Components
- External Propellant Tanks
After the end of the first Neo Zeon movement, the severely damaged MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam receives a new core base module to provide the ZZ Gundam with a new lower body, which was built on the Jupitris II, flag ship of the Jupiter Fleet with which Judau had departed with in the end of Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.
At a point halfway between Jupiter and Earth Judau Ashta is using the MSZ-010S ZZ-GR to keep a watch over the Jupiter Fleet when he received an alert of multiple objects moving at high speed on an intercept course. Judau moved to intercept and discovered several Neo Zeon mobile suits with long range flight pods attacking an AMX-004 Qubeley Mk-II. Judau used the MSZ-010S ZZ-GR to engage two AMX-014 Döven Wolf mobile suits, destroying them. When those mobile suits were destroyed, the Qubeley Mk-II turned to also engage the enemy, but Judau used the MSZ-010S ZZ-GR to keep it off the battlefield, pushing the Qubeley until it runs out of fuel.
As the Qubeley turns and flies to the Jupitris II, a small container bearing the words "Happy Birthday Judau" approaches the MSZ-010S ZZ-GR. Upon opening the container is revealed to hold an original model Core Base that Judau exchanges his current ZZ-GR Core Base with, restoring the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam. With the Double Zeta, Judau flew back to the Jupitris II and destroyed several MS-06F Zaku II and a single AMX-014 Döven Wolf mobile suits.