|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the theatrical release, Mobile Suit Gundam F91; if you are looking for the article on the titular mobile suit of this film then you should head to F91 Gundam F91.|
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (機動戦士ガンダ Ｆ91 Kidō Senshi Gandamu Effu Kujūichi?) is a 1991 Japanese animated film. It was Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino's attempt to launch a new Gundam saga, set thirty years after Char's Counterattack. He re-teamed with character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and mecha designer Kunio Okawara for the occasion. The movie was first released in Japan on March 16, 1991.
Originally planned as a full-length television series, Gundam F91 hit a production snag due to staff disputes, and the project was stopped after the screenplays for the first thirteen episodes were written. It was then decided that what was made of the show would be condensed into a theatrical feature film. Condensing a story originally intended to be told over the course of fifty half-hour episodes into less than two hours of screen time required much of the original story to be cut.
The story of Gundam F91 revolves around teenage space colonist Seabook Arno, his girlfriend Cecily Fairchild, and the efforts of the Crossbone Vanguard militia, led by Cecily's grandfather Meitzer Ronah, to establish an aristocracy known as "Cosmo Babylonia". In keeping with Gundam tradition, the civilian Seabook is forced by circumstance to pilot the F91 Gundam F91, coincidentally designed in part by his estranged mother, Dr. Monica Arno.
The Gundam F91 story was fleshed out in much greater detail in Tomino's two-part novelization. Tomino's manga, Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam, is a direct sequel which takes place ten years after the events of the movie.
Renewed conflict breaks out after a generation of peace in this continuation of the Mobile Suit Gundam anime saga. To accommodate the growing population, the Earth Federation has built new space colonies. However, the Crossbone Vanguard decides to seize these colonies to help establish its extraterrestrial empire. Now, reluctant hero Seabook Arno and his Gundam F91 must lead a fierce struggle for survival.
|Seabook Arno||Kouji Tsujitani|
|Carozzo "Iron Mask" Ronah||Masaki Maeda|
|Cecily Fairchild||Yumi Touma|
|Annamarie Bourget||Chie Koujiro|
|Zabine Chareux||Kiyoyuki Yanada|
|Leahlee Edaberry||Mari Yoko|
|Reese Arno||Sayuri Ikemoto|
|Dorel Ronah||Takeshi Kusao|
|Meitzer Ronah||Teppei Takasugi|
|Leslie Arno||Mikio Terashima|
|Monica Arno||Miyoko Shoji|
|Cosmo Eigesse||Takeshi Watabe|
|Theo Fairchild||Tamio Ohki|
|Birgit Pirjo||Yoku Shioya|
English dub cast
|Seabook Arno||Steve Staley|
|Carozzo "Iron Mask" Ronah||Tom Wyner|
|Cecily Fairchild||Michelle Ruff|
|Annamarie Bourget||Kari Wahlgren|
|Zabine Chareux||Jamieson Price|
|Leahlee Edaberry||Mari Devon|
|Reese Arno||Julie Maddalena|
|Dorel Ronah||Dave Wittenberg|
|Meitzer Ronah||Simon Prescott|
|Leslie Arno||Tony Pope|
|Monica Arno||Julie Ann Taylor|
|Cosmo Eigesse||Bob Papenbrook|
|Theo Fairchild||Michael Forest|
|Birgit Pirjo||Derek Stephen Prince|
- Eternal Wind ~ Hohoemi wa Hikaru Kaze no Naka (Smile in the Shining Wind) by Hiroko Moriguchi
- Kimi o mitsumete (The time I'm seeing you) by Hiroko Moriguchi
Notes & Trivia
- Many of the occurring music themes are amazingly similar to those of John Williams' score for Empire Strikes Back (1980) of the Star Wars saga. For example, the opening notations for the Crossbone Vanguard and the Imperial March are nearly identical, as are those between the F91 battle theme and Empire's escape from Bespin.
- This could be a play around on the remarks made by western audiences involving similarities between the Gundam series and Star Wars, but this has not been confirmed.
- At the Miss Countryside contest in the beginning of the film, a background character wears a jacket that reads "Beautiful Life Tomino", a reference to Gundam co-creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.
- In the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED episode "Fangs of the Enemy", Cagalli Yula Athha is seen bathing in a bathtub that has exactly the same design as the bathtub that Cecily Fairchild is seen having a bath in during this movie.
- in 11:39. an "Amuro Bank" sign is seen.
Errors & Goofs
- In 00:24, the microphone stand's animation cell slightly moves along with a cell of Cecily taking a slight step forward.
- The Zaku II replica seen in the War Museum has it's spiked shoulder armor and shield switched.
- In 17:31, one of the Jegan's right arm joints is colored in the same mint green before it was switched back to grey 2 seconds later.
Manga & Novels
- Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (Manga)
- Mobile Suit Gundam F91 Crossbone Vanguard
- Mobile Suit Gundam F90
- Mobile Suit Gundam Silhouette Formula 91 in UC 0123
- Mobile Suit Gundam F91: Formula Report 0122
| Preceded by:|
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
| Chronological order|
| Succeeded by:|
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam