The NRX-055 Baund Doc is a transformable mobile suit which appeared in the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam animation works. Its known units were piloted by Rosamia Badam, Gates Capa, and Jerid Messa (alongside instructor Loren Nakamoto).
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Despite its apparent size and bulk, the Baund Doc's half-egg-shaped Mobile Armor mode was very fast and maneuverable thanks to multiple vernier thrusters and apogee motors. The MA mode was equally capable of offensive and defensive operations, and it transformed into a non-symmetrical Mobile Suit form armed with a beam rifle and beam saber for standard one-on-one combat, as well as a powerful scattering mega particle gun mounted in its large left arm for attacking several targets at once. It was equipped with a Psycommu System, which allowed its pilot to more directly interface with the Baund Doc's operation. Although normal human pilots could operate this transformable mobile weapon, its true potential only came out in the hands of a genetically-engineered "Cyber Newtype" or a natural-born Newtype.
Three Baund Doc units were built, although only the first one, the NRX-055-1, was the true prototype model. It had a specially-designed cockpit that could seat two individuals, the pilot and an instructor. The second and third units were essentially the same as the prototype, except they were built with standard single-person cockpits and sported highly distinctive color schemes of blue, yellow and pink.
- Scattering Mega Particle Gun
- Baund Doc is equipped with a Scattering Mega Particle Gun which is located on the main body in MA mode, and being mounted the shield on its left arm in MS mode. The weapon has an exceptional power rating of 16.4 MW and is capable of targeting multiple enemy units at once. It is one of the most powerful MS-mounted beam weapons.
- Beam Saber
- Baund Doc is equipped with a standard beam saber for close quarters combat that is usually stored in a recharge rack in the torso.
- Beam Rifle
- Baund Doc uses a standard beam rifle in MS mode that is stored on a waist storage rack when not in use.
Special Equipment & Features
- Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts, through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind. In essence, the Psycommu system works by passively scanning the brainwaves of Newtypes, amplifying them in order to send the brainwave signal out long distances, and then translating these brainwaves into raw machine codes upon being received by the selected object with limitations. Since brainwaves are not affected by the radio interference property of Minovsky particles, at first it was mainly used to mentally control remote weapons via Minovsky Communication, usually mounted with a single beam gun. This enabled the resurrection of BVR engagements, with bits and funnels being the first weapons able to engage targets without visual contact since the development of the Minovsky particle.
A Newtype-use transformable mobile armor developed at the Titans' Augusta Newtype Laboratory, the NRX-055 Baund Doc was perhaps one of the strangest and most unique mobile weapons developed during the Gryps Conflict. All three units would prove to be deadly foes for the AEUG, although none of the Baund Docs would survive the war.
Notes & Trivia
- The Baund Doc's MA mode appears to be inspired by the MAM-07 Grublo.
- Although the yellow Baund Doc was classified as "Jerid Messa's colors" by various materials, the unit never appeared in any animation works. Instead, Jerid is seen piloting Rosamia's pink-and-black Baund Doc.