Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Technology and Combat Characteristics
After its capture by Mars Zeon from Strategic Naval Research Institute (SRNI), the F90 Gundam F90 Unit 2 was modified to suit Zeon combat tactics. To that end the unit was outfitted with a greater number vernier thrusters to increase mobility and improved its thruster capacity for greater speed.
Because Mars Zeon failed to capture any of the optional weapons pack they decided to reduce the hardpoints (many replaced with thrusters), and give the Gundam an improved set of weaponry. The main changes were the addition of waist-mounted rocket-propelled grenades for mid-range combat. Additionally one of the beam sabers has been removed, though it is unknown why or how this could improve combat performance. Only five of the original hardpoints remain with one on each hip and forearm as well as a weapons mount on the back of the waist for the beam rifle.
The visual appearance of the Gundam has been modified from its original form to something better suited to a Zeon mobile suit. Specifically the iconic Gundam V-fin crest has been removed, the size of the fore-head mounted camera has been increased, spikes have been added to the left shoulder, and the mobile suit has been repainted red likely in homage to Char Aznable whose data was used to create the assisting AI system.
- Vulcan Gun
- The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan guns. The purpose of the Vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition. The Vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- Rocket-Propelled Grenade
- The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is mounted with 4 Rocket-Propelled Grenades on the hip armor hardpoints, two on each side. These grenades can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam. The beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is equipped with one beam saber stored in a recharge rack on the backpack.
- Beam Rifle
- The technology of the beam rifle allows it to fire a compressed mega particle beam which can penetrate any physical armor, leading to the saying that any mobile suit equipped with a beam rifle had the power of a battleship at its disposal. The OMS-90R Gundam F90's beam rifle is powered by a replaceable e-pac and can mount on the waist weapons mount. The beams of a beam rifle can be blocked by an I-field or a beam shield.
Special Equipment & Features
- C.A. (Char Aznable) AI System
- The second Gundam F90 was a prototype unit that was equipped with an assisting C.A (Char Aznable) Artificial Intelligent System, a system that was built upon Char Aznable's piloting data. The system would supplement the pilot's own skill in order to increase the unit's overall performance.
- The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is equipped with 5 Hardpoints (lower than 5 points compared to the original F90 Gundam F90) for mounting various external equipment and/or armaments to meet specific needs or combat situations, thus making the OMS-90R Gundam F90 an extremely versatile MS and could operate in various conditions.
The Gundam F90 was captured by the Mars Zeon near Side 4. After the Zeon captured it they repainted it in a distinctive red-orange-white color scheme. However the Mars Zeon were not able to capture any of the specialized Mission packs that the unit could be mounted with, but they adapted the unit with additional thrusters that granted it additional speed. A trait common in Zeon tactics was to use hit and run style maneuvers while carrying out their missions, and it would only humiliate the Federation more since it was one of their suits carrying out the damage.
The Federation's 13th Autonomous Fleet would be sent out to destroy Mars Zeon and recapture the Gundam F90. In the Mars Zeon base the two units, Unit 1 piloted by Def Stallion and the Zeon controlled Unit 2 piloted by Bosch, would battle. Both Units were heavily damaged, but in a final move reminiscent of the final battle between the RX-78-2 Gundam and the MSN-02 Zeong, Unit 1 defeated Unit 2. The remains of both machines were retrieved and Unit 2 was rebuilt into the F90II Gundam F90II.