Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The OZ-13MSX2 Mercurius (aka Mercurius) is a limited production defensive mobile suit, forcefully developed for OZ. The unit is featured in the anime Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, it was piloted by Heero Yuy and later by Quatre Raberba Winner. It was designed by Hajime Katoki.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Mercurius was designed with defensive strategy in mind, and was armed with a small beam gun and a large shield, called a "Crash Shield," which had a powerful beam saber integrated into it. It was also equipped with a set of ten planet defensors, which were small disc-shaped objects that projects an energy shield to protect the Mercurius or another mobile suit from virtually any attack. The shield is powerful enough that it could even block a shot from XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero buster rifles, but a subsequent shot would prove too much for it. They were stored in a rack on the back of the Mercurius, where they were charged by the suit's reactor. The Mercurius was designed to operate together with its brother, OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate, with one covering the other when in battle. Both suits have a head cover that defends the sensors but limits the vision. A second Mercurius controlled by Mobile Doll AI System was later built by White Fang.
The planet defensors were later used in OZ's mass production mobile doll, the OZ-02MD Virgo, and subsequently by the White Fang on their captured Virgo troops which included the upgraded WF-02MD Virgo II.
- Beam Gun
- A ranged beam weapon that gives the Mercurius a short-to-mid ranged firepower. It possesses less power than the standard beam rifle, but because of its small size, it is ideal for the close combat role of the Mercurius.
- Crash Shield
- A weapon that allows the Mercurius to block and attack almost simultaneously, it is a shield that is integrated with a powerful beam saber, enabling it to engage in close combat when required.
- Planet Defensors
- A weapon that is controlled by the pilot and is used to defend the Mercurius or any other mobile suit from a impending attack. They are small disc-shaped objects which are capable of generating an almost-impenetrable energy shield. They are able to repel just about any attack, even from the buster rifle of the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero. A period of powerful shots against the planet defensors, can cause them to be weakened and lose their power to produce an energy shield. When low on energy, they can return to the rack on the back of the mobile suit for recharging. The Mercurius can possess up to ten planet defensors.
Special Equipment & Features
- Camera Eye
- Mobile Doll AI Control System
- Self-Destruct System
While the five Gundam pilots were fighting on Earth to defeat the OZ and the Alliance forces, the scientists who created their mobile suits were captured by OZ and forced to work on next generation mobile suits capable of putting an end to the Gundam pilots' activities. The five scientists set to work and came up with a pair of mobile suit designs - the OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate and the OZ-13MSX2 Mercurius.
The Mercurius was piloted by captured Gundam pilot Heero Yuy, whose combat data was recorded to be used for the Virgo's AI control system. When Quatre Winner went on a rampage with the newly built XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero, Heero Yuy was dispatched with OZ infiltrator Trowa Barton to capture or destroy the renegade Gundam. Heero fought Quatre to a standstill, and the Mercurius was self-destructed by Heero and Quatre to try and destroy the Wing Zero. A second Mercurius was later built by the terrorist group White Fang, who had the Gundam scientists use Heero's combat data to install a mobile doll control system in the suit. The Mercurius was destroyed by Duo Maxwell XXXG-01D2 Gundam Deathscythe Hell, along with the Vayeate when it was dispatched to pursue Hilde Schbeiker.
Notes & Trivia
- Mercurius's motif is derived from the Raijin, the Japanese God of Thunder.
- The name Mercurius is derived from Mercury, a figure from Roman Mythology.
- Mercurius made a small cameo in Gundam Build Fighters and was piloted by a female who looks similar to Heero Yuy.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Mercurius is piloted by Lucrezia Noin.