|First Seen||101 A.G.|
|Head Height||19.4 meters63.648 ft |
|Standard Weight||34.6 metric tons|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in cockpit in head with 360° monitor display|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gafran is the mainstay transformable mass production MS used by the Vagan nation, and is characterized by its humanoid shape. The Gafran shows superior traits than the RGE-B790 Genoace in terms of offense, mobility and defense. Prior to the appearance of the AGE-1, it was thought to be invincible. There are color variations but it is unknown what they are supposed to distinguish. It possesses the ability to transform into an alternate "dragon-like" mode. A common feature of these machines are the waist-mounted movable stabilizer wings .
It appears that when encountering something new, the Gafran can scan it using a red light. What this scan does is unknown. Vagan machines are installed with a self-destruct mechanism in order to prevent technology and information from getting into the hands of the Earth Federation military  . By A.G. 164, this function is removed from most Vagan MS . The majority of the Gafran's weapons are fixed, save for the handheld Colony Destroyer weapon.
The majority of seen Gafran have been blue in color, however occasionally a more uniquely colored unit is seen that acts as a commander to the standard colored ones. It is unknown if these units are technologically different or if the only changes are aesthetics.
- Beam Rifle
- Serves as the Gafran's tail when transformed. Its beam rifle can be held over or under the right shoulder when in use, it is a powerful long-range weapon that can destroy a mobile suit with one shot.
- Beam Vulcan/Beam Saber
- Mounted on both hands. Fairly effective at damaging or destroying most human made creations, however, it wasn't powerful enough to damage the AGE-1 Gundam AGE-1 Normal. Its beam vulcan also possesses the ability to generate a beam saber.
- Diffuse Beam Cannon
- Mounted in torso. Generates a very wide beam ideal for eliminating difficult enemies that stand before the Gafran. However, it wasn't powerful enough to damage the AGE-1 Gundam AGE-1 Normal.
- Colony Destroyer
- Used by the Gafran during the assault on Space Colony Nora, the colony destroyer was a large scale weapon with power that can deal critical damage to a colony. Generally, since Vagan Mobile Suits have internal weapons, this colony destroyer is thought to be an exceptional strategic weapon. The Colony Destroyer is shoulder-fired by a single Gafran that directs the weapon towards the target colony.
The main mass production unit of the Vagan, which suddenly appeared in A.G. 101, spreading destruction across the world. For 14 years the Gafran had yet to be defeated in combat. They remained undefeated until the battle in the Nora colony in A.G. 115 where one Gafran was defeated by the AGE-1 Gundam AGE-1 Normal. However the Gafran slowly lost its reputation for being undefeated over the years due to advancements in weaponry used by the Earth Federation.
By the A.G. 140s, the need for long-distance travel was waning due to the expanding sphere of influence of the Vagan, thus transformable mechanisms are omitted in later MS models to pursue the development of non-transformable MS  . However the Vagan still deployed Gafran units despite being replaced by the newer ovm-e Dorado.
Even in 164 A.G., the outdated Gafran is still seen to be deployed by the Vagan during their assault on Earth. Some Gafrans can be seen during the battle of Roustroulam.
- Currently the context of the designation number of the Gafran is not known; on whether its given by the EF as an identification number or whether it was made by the UE themselves.
- The Gafran flight mode look similar to the RX-104FF Penelope in flight mode.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Gafran" Assembly Instruction Manual, 1/144 scale HG Gundam AGE model, No.2, Bandai, (2011)
- ↑ Kadokawa Shoten, February 1, 2012 "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (Novel)" Ukyo Kodachi. ISBN 978-4-04-100147-9.
- ↑ (February 5, 2012) Ken Otsuka, Twitter, February 07. 2012.
- ↑ A Gafran is seen destroying an incapacitated unit for the same purpose in Episode 1 "The Savior, Gundam
- ↑ Episode 40 "Kio's Resolve, Together with the Gundam"
- ↑ "Great Mechanics DX" 20, Futabasha <MOOK Futaba-sha>, 2012. ISBN 978-4575464641 .