Technology & Combat Characteristics
The fourth of five mobile suits built by the Newtype Paptimus Scirocco on the Jupitris, the PMX-003 The O is Scirocco’s personal mobile suit, and perhaps the most powerful. It has an independently developed control system to take advantage of his rare spatial recognition abilities, and its control interface is specifically tuned for Scirocco's use, making the The O impossible to pilot except by Scirocco himself. The generator output specifications are modest at less than 2,000Kw; however, The O is equipped with a large-scale thermonuclear reactor comparable to that of a warship.
The O has very thick armor that can withstand direct beam hits, such as from the AMX-004 Qubeley's funnels. Although very bulky and heavy, it is outfitted with enough thrusters to maneuver and move at very high speeds, demonstrating powerful thrust similar to mobile armors. It is also extremely agile despite its massive frame, with performance that greatly surpasses common MS and displaying tremendous space combat capabilities. By taking advantage of The O's large size, it is possible to load large amounts of propellant into various parts of the body and the skirt armor to extend operation time. The leg and armor units incorporate a complex multi-joint structure that allow a high degree of freedom of movement. These parts significantly differ from those found in typical mobile suits.
In terms of weapons, The O is only equipped with 4 beam swords and a beam rifle. However, thanks to its unique sub-arms, The O can wield all four swords at once, something that no other mobile suit could do, allowing The O to excel at close-quarters combat. The O is a robust machine designed with emphasis on mobility instead of excessive firepower, and features an excellent interface that reflects the skill of the pilot.
The last special feature of The O is the Bio-Sensor (no relation to the device installed in the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam), which functions like a psycommu system and allows the powerful Newtype Scirocco to more easily interface with his suit.
- Beam Rifle
- The O's main ranged weapon is its custom beam rifle, which cannot be used by any other MS. It has a power rating of 2.6 MW, and can rapid fire beams that are on par with those from a Mega Launcher. The beam rifle is powered by a unique E-pac mounted below the grip.
- Beam Sword
- The O's main close combat weapon, it is called a beam sword as the emitted beam blade tends to bend towards a certain direction. Two beam swords are stored in each side skirt armor, for a total of four beam swords. The O can wield all four beam swords simultaneously, one in each of its standard hands, and the other two by the sub-arms in its front skirt armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Bio-sensor System
- A technological variant of the Psycommu System developed by Anaheim Electronics. Although its full capabilities are unknown, its primary purpose was to allow a Newtype pilot to more easily interface with his mobile suit via mental commands. The bio-sensor could also have a rather surprising side effect when the pilot was mentally and emotionally focused enough (usually when angry or upset), causing the Bio-sensor to amplify the power, speed and strength of the mobile suit for a short period of time.
- A unique feature of The O is that it possesses two sub-arms. These arms are typically folded behind The O's front skirt armor, and are much thinner than The O's main arms, with only three fingers. These sub-arms allow The O to utilize up to four hand-held weapons, usually three of its beam swords and its beam rifle, which, when combined with its surprising agility, makes it a formidable opponent in close combat.
The O was first fielded in the last days of the Gryps Conflict during the negotiations with Haman Karn, Jamitov Hymem and Char Aznable on board the Axis Zeon flagship Gwadan. After Scirocco betrays Jamitov Hymem and takes control of the Titans, he uses The O to engage Haman in her AMX-004 Qubeley, with Sarah Zabiarov in her PMX-002 Bolinoak Sammahn and Reccoa Londe in her PMX-001 Palace Athene as backup. During the battle, Scirocco engages Haman in a Newtype battle until Katz Kobayashi interferes in the G-Defenser, resulting in Sarah's death.
Later, during the Battle of Gryps, Scirocco engages with Kamille Bidan and his MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, which also has the Bio-sensor. Despite Scirocco’s great Newtype powers and the strength of The O, he is finally defeated by Kamille who rams the Zeta Gundam in Waverider form into The O’s cockpit, impaling Scirocco on its tip and The O against the Jupitris. Before his death, however, Scirocco uses the Bio-sensor to cripple Kamille’s mind, followed by The O exploding and taking the Jupitris with it.
At the same time the PMX-003 The O was being developed, Scirocco was also created a "sister" unit, the PMX-004 Titania, which was to be piloted by a woman of his choosing.
Notes & Trivia
- It's model number, PMX, stands for: P (Paptimus Scirocco); M (MS/MA); X (Prototype), and, although the number 003 might mean it's the third mobile suit made by Scirocco, it's actually the fourth, with the first being the PMX-000 Messala.
- Its name represents "God" or "The will of God".
- In Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus, The O is unlockable as a PSP Exclusive unit. It has the ability to revive more than once (3 times only) if the assault awakening & Mobility awakening were not used. In the hands of a skilled player, The O is able to outlast most Mobile Suits in the game.
- In Gundam Battle Assault 2, The O's Game Data is in the game and can only be played by using a PS1 Gameshark device, it is unclear why it was removed.
- In Gundam Extreme Vs, The O also appears as an unlockable unit, but as DLC (Downloadable Content).
- In many G Generation (and some SRW) games, The O often ends up with a lack luster attack list (Beam Sword, Beam Rifle) and it's rarely seen using its sub-arms. Its stats are generally pretty good for a Zeta-era mech.