|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from M-MSV; if you are looking for the article on mobile suit from Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RAG-79-G1 Gundam Marine Type.|
The RAG-79-G1 Waterproof Gundam (水中型ガンダム?) (aka Gundam Marine Type or Gundiver) is an Earth Federation Mobile suit from the Universal Century, which first appeared in Kunio Okawara's M-MSV series and later on in the side story manga Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: The Noble Shroud.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Waterproof Gundam is a fully customized RAG-79 Aqua GM used by the Federation. Although the unit is built from the same basic frame of the Aqua GM, it was adapted with more advanced technologies during its development to improve its adaptability in amphibious combat.
One such feature is the improved Minovsky type reactor, which is custom designed to work underwater and allows it to use beam weapons while underwater. Other such improvements in performance is the increased power in the thrusters, allowing it to cruise underwater without problems. In design wise, the unit is designed with a Gundam-Like head to reflect the famous RX-78-2 Gundam.
The Waterproof Gundam is equipped with several new weaponry such as Beam Picks, Explosive Harpoon Guns and a Underwater-Use Beam Rifle.
- Torpedo Launcher
- Since water reduces the effectiveness of beam weapons, the Waterproof Gundam opted to return to a far less modern weapon: Torpedo. This self-propelled weapon with an explosive warhead is able to be launched toward enemies, then detonated on contact or within a proximity to the target.
- Beam Pick
- Possesses the same power output as a standard beam saber but was designed to generate a smaller and more concentrated beam blade (hence the name "pick") that is harder to diffuse when underwater. The Waterproof Gundam's beam picks are stored in its right hip armor.
- Explosive Harpoon Gun
- Designed with amphibious combat in mind, this weapon proved to be very versatile as it can be used while underwater or on land. The disadvantages of this weapon, however are just as great as it only has limited ammunition and like most solid round weapons, the harpoons may not be able to pierce deeply into the armor of enemy mobile suits to cause enough damage. The Waterproof Gundam's explosive harpoon gun is located in the unit's left forearm.
- Hand Anchor
- A rocket anchor weapon equipped into the Waterproof Gundam's right forearm for close combat purposes. It has a grappling claw that can catch enemy units to pull them into the suit's combat range. It can also be used to disable enemy mobile suits.
- Underwater-Use Beam Rifle
- The Waterproof Gundam features a modified beam rifle that can be used underwater.
One surviving Waterproof Gundam was deployed at Dakar during the events of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, alongside two RAG-79 Aqua GM units to fight against The Sleeves. The Waterproof Gundam however was no match against the more advanced AMS-129M Zee Zulu units deployed by The Sleeves and was destroyed in combat.