Technology & Combat Characteristics
To make the RGC-80 GM Cannon more efficient for space usage the Earth Federation brought in the RGC-80S GM Cannon Space Assault Type. The GM Cannon Space Assault Type carries less heavy armor from the hip skirt to the legs and carries more thrusters behind the legs and backpack. Since the GM Cannon Space Assault Type's heavy armor is removed its speed and agility are increased. Its main weapons are one 360mm rocket-assisted projectile cannon, a Balzac type 380mm rocket bazooka, a beam spray gun, and a pair of 60mm vulcan guns. The GM Cannon Space Assault Type can also use the same shield used by the standard RGM-79 GM.
- 360mm Rocket Cannon
- Mounted over the right shoulder was a mid-range fire support artillery cannon. The cannon is clip fed, with a spare clip mounted on the rear waist armor.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series. These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- The Beam Spray Gun was essentially the Gundam's beam rifle in a smaller weaker form. The beam spray gun has a smaller focusing coil which results in a less powerful, and a more scattered shot. As a result of this the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. While the beam spray gun is less powerful than the beam rifle, it has been shown to be able to penetrate the armor of a Rick Dom - one of the most heavily armored mobile suits of the One Year War.
- Balzac type 380mm Rocket Bazooka
- A clip fed bazooka firing rocket rounds.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. A shield can be equipped to either arm of the GM Cannon Space Assault Type in order to increase defense against both beam and physical attacks.
As the Earth Federation approved for mass-production for RGC-80 GM Cannon to be constructed and distributed to various Earth Federation battalions around the Earth. The Earth Federation sent more agile and better equipped GM Cannon Space Assault Type into space to assist the Federation Space Forces in defeating Zeon Military Force. The GM Cannon Space Assault Types are used by ace pilots who fought in Operation Star One, but at A Baoa Qu, five of six mobile suits were destroyed.