Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGC-83 GM Cannon II is more heavily-armed than its predecessor. It is equipped with two shoulder-mounted beam cannons, unlike the RX-77-2 Guncannon (which is equipped with cannons that fire solid shells), and can carry a 90mm machine gun as well as a beam saber for close combat. It also includes two 60mm vulcan guns mounted in the head, but these are usually last-resort weapons. To power the GM Cannon II's beam cannons the suit is equipped with a reactor that has a much higher output. It is also very heavily armored, featuring Chobham armor based on the same design as the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex", although the armor was built directly into its body rather than being mounted on a smaller frame. However, it pays the price for this durability with very low speed and mobility. A GM Cannon II on its own has been shown to not be able to fend for itself due to opponents being able to outmaneuver it, unless its opponent also lacks speed.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The standard armament for melee combat for Earth Federation mobile suits is the beam saber. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and is capable of cutting through any metal alloy. The only way to block a beam saber is to counter with another beam saber or to use armor that has been treated with an anti-beam coating. The GM Cannon II is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge storage rack on its left forearm.
- Beam Cannon
- The primary weapons of the GM Cannon II are a pair of mega-particle beam cannons mounted on the backpack. Mega-particles are fed to the beam cannons by the two large drum-like E-Caps mounted below them on the backpack.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun that is based on older technologies, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but it is a weapon that can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. It features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties. The ammunition is stored in spare clips that can be replaced when they are used up.
The RGC-83 GM Cannon II is a heavy-duty support type mobile suit designed to provide covering fire for its teammates. While it is the second version of the UC 0079 RGC-80 GM Cannon, it more closely resembles the Guncannon mobile suit made famous by fighting alongside the original RX-78-2 Gundam.
Notes and Trivia