Technology and Combat Characteristics
Technologically, the RGM-111 Hardygun is a combination of the SNRI's RGM-109 Heavygun and F71 G-Cannon that has been upgraded. The Hardygun features improved thrusters and a high number of vernier thrusters giving the mobile suits high acceleration and maneuverability. Its nuclear reactor has a higher output than either of its predecessors, allowing the mobile suit to use multiple beam weapons, including the high-power shoulder-mounted beam cannon. Not only does the Hardygun feature a number of beam weapons but it also mounts a number of ballistic weapons including a pair of mega machine guns, a pair of 3-slot rocket propelled grenade racks, and a pair of head-mounted vulcan guns.
However, while its performance was higher than any mass-produced mobile suits used by the Earth Federation, it lacked the beam shield technology used by Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits or the "Formula" Gundams being developed as part of SNRI's Formula Project and Anaheim Electronics' Silhouette Formula Project.
- Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles.
- Mega Machine Cannon
- The RGM-111 Hardygun is equipped with a pair of fire-linked mega machine cannons in its chest. In the age of miniaturized mobile suits, the emphasis for mobile suit designs is speed, thus armor is sacrificed to reduce mass and weight. This leaves many mobile suits vulnerable to physical round weapons, such as machine guns, that had been discarded for mobile suit combat because of a lack of effectiveness after the One Year War. Though based on the concept of old mobile suit machine guns, the mega machine cannons mounted in the Hardygun's chest have been improved with modern technology, making them more effective.
- 3-slot Rocket Propelled Grenade Rack
- One of the featured carried over from the RGM-109 Heavygun is the pair of waist mounted grenade racks, one on each side. However the number of slots for each grenade rack has been reduced from four to three, meaning that the Hardygun has 6 grenades to the Heavygun's 8.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Hardygun is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack on the left side of its backpack when not in use.
- 2-barrel Beam Gun
- A feature taken from the F71 G-Cannon is a pair of small-scale 2-barrel beam guns mounted in the forearms, one in each arm.
- Beam Cannon
- The Hardygun is equipped with a beam cannon mounted over its right shoulder. The beam cannon utilizes similar technology as the beam rifle, however instead of using energy caps with a limited charge, the beam cannon is connected to and draws power straight from the mobile suit's Ultracompact Minovsky Fusion Reactor. The Hardygun's beam cannon is mounted on a movable arm that allows the beam cannon to be stored behind its waist when not in combat.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried optional ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle are can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Built by Anaheim Electronics, the Hardygun has a strong visual resemblance to the F70 Cannon Gundam developed by SNRI, however its design and performance can be considered a cross between the RGM-109 Heavygun and the F71 G-Cannon. As with other mobile suits created as a part of the Silhouette Formula Project, the Hardygun was built using data illegally obtained from the Earth Federation's Strategic Naval Research Institute.
Though the Hardygun was a formidable mobile suit, Anaheim Electronics never intended to put its design into mass-production because they never expected to sell any of their Silhouette Formula Project mobile suits to the Earth Federation Forces. The problem was that Anaheim had entered the race to develop miniaturized mobile suits too late. The only reason the Silhouette Formula Project was funded and the Hardygun was built was because the Earth Federation gave the data on SNRI mobile suits to Anaheim Electronics so that the privately owned weapons manufacturer could stay competitive with rival manufacturers, which would in turn reduce prices.
- RGM-111G Hardygun Close Combat Type
- RGM-111R Hardygun Reconnaissance Type
- RGM-111 type B.T. Hardygun Blitzkrieg
- RGM-111 type NR Hardygun Night Raid