The RGM-119 Jamesgun was a mass-produced general purpose mobile suit. It first appeared in the anime series Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, the manga series Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam along with the manga series Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: Steel 7.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Jamesgun is a mobile suit based on the older Heavygun mobile suit used to fight the Crossbone Vanguard, it was developed in the early UC 100s by Anaheim Electronics for use by the Earth Federation Forces. Although the Jamesgun is a newly designed machine, its basic design follows that of the RGM-89 Jegan without compromising performance. Its simple design made it easy to use and maintain, making it a fairly popular suit. At the time of its development it was built with the most advanced technologies and up-to-date weapons.
When the RGM-122 Javelin would be introduced, it would share many components and designs with the Jamesgun, so many consider the two mobile suits "brothers". It is considered a distant descendant of the RGM-79 GM.
- Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Shield
- A new protective device used by the mobile suits of the U.C. 0120 era. Thanks to their increased generator output, the scaled-down mobile suits of this era are able to use beam technology for defensive purposes. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself. The Jamesgun's beam shield is mounted on the left forearm.
- Beam Saber
- The Beam Saber emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The termination of the I-field along a solid contact surface allows the plasma to eat away at the offending material until the I-field reestablishes itself, allowing the weapon to "cut" through almost any target. The Jamesgun is equipped with two beam sabers, that when not in use are stored in the side skirt armor.
- Beam Rifle
- The Jamesgun uses a standard beam rifle for combat that is powered by rechargeable energy cap technology.
- Beam Bazooka
- A beam bazooka utilizes the same technology as a beam rifle, just on a larger scale. As it produces a larger and more powerful beam, the beam bazooka deals more damage than a beam rifle. When not in use, the beam bazooka could be stored on the rear waist armor.
- Hook Shield
- The hook shield is a Federation technology used mainly to collect space debris; because it needs to be able to resist strong impacts, it also functions as a very sturdy solid shield.
The RGM-119 Jamesgun was developed in the first half of the second Universal Century. If its model number follows the same pattern as the RGM-109 Heavygun, then the Jamesgun would have been first deployed in the year UC 0119, however it was never seen engaging the Crossbone Vanguard in the UC 0120s. But by the year UC 0133, the Earth Federation was using both the Jamesgun and its successor, the RGM-122 Javelin. The Jamesgun was used to fight the Jupiter Empire's invasion, however it was difficult to assess how the Jamesgun fared against the Jupiter Empire's mass production mobile suits. It is known that they were little match for the Death Gale Team because the team destroyed multiple Earth Federation bases that would have had Jamesguns defending them.
While the Jamesgun would remain in service for many decades over time, however, its role would be reduced to such unglamorous tasks, such as providing security for material transport ships. As a result, the Jamesgun was a poor match against the more modern and far superior mobile suits employed by the Zanscare Empire during their invasion in the early UC 0150s.
Notes and Trivia
|Crossbone Gundam: Steel 7 Mechanics|
Angel Diona | Arana Abijo | Bala Totuga | XM-07B Vigna Ghina II Jupiter Battle Specification | XM-10 Flint | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 "Patchwork" | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai Kai "Skull Heart" | XM-X3 Crossbone Gundam X-3
Nozzle | Speed King
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Amakusa | Cornix | EMS-08 Diona | EMS-12 Arana | EMS-VSX1 Mass Production Quavarze | EMS-VSX1 Quavarze | EMS-VSX2 Abijo | EMS-VSX3 Totuga | Impulse Cornix | Jurisdis Sinistra Dictus | Libertas Dextra Dictus
Elcopty | EMA-10 Divinidad
|Earth Federation Forces/SNRI|
F90I-I Gundam F90 Intercept Type Jupiter Battle Specification | F91 Gundam F91 | F99 Record Breaker | RGM-109 Heavygun | RGM-119 Jamesgun | RGM-122 Javelin | XM-10 Flint