Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-122C Javelin Cannon is a heavy fire-support variation of the mobile suit RGM-122 Javelin.
It was designed and built after the RGM-122 Javelin had already been in mass production for some time. The shot lancer (Javelin unit) from the backpack was replaced by a pair of beam cannons which was supported by the backpack itself to rise above the mobile suit's shoulders. As the RGM-122 Javelin was originally designed as a general purpose mobile suit, the mobile suit did not have a generator that could supply the large amount of energy needed to support the cannon type. Hence, there number limited number shots available before the unit needed to recharge. As such the RGM-122C Javelin Cannon could not be deployed fully in its intended role.
The units that served in the Tailcode team utilized a different beam cannon design. The single-barrel beam cannons were replaced by a pair of 4-barrel beam cannons that had a greater rate of fire but lower overall power. These units were favored in roles where they provided covering fire as other members of the team in standard Javelins moved in close to warships. The units' beam cannons did not need to be very high damaging but have a large attack diffusion surface.
Aside from the replacement of the shot lancer with a cannon pack, the performance and equipment of the Javelin and Javelin Cannon are virtually identical.
- Vulcan Gun
- Standard armament for Earth Federation mobile suits is a pair of defensive Vulcan guns mounted in the mobile suit's head. These Vulcans are used to intercept missiles and to destroy light vehicles. They typically have little effect on a mobile suit's heaver armor.
- Beam Shield
- The Javelin's left arm is equipped with the highly successful beam shield technology introduced during the invasion of the Crossbone Vanguard. A new protective device used by the mobile suits of the U.C. 0120 era. Thanks to their increased generator output, the scaled-down mobile suits of this era are able to use beam technology for defensive purposes. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself.
- Beam Cannon
- A heavy ranged beam weapon that replaces the shot lancer in the Javelin's arsenal. The heavy firepower of the cannons allow the Javelin to be used in fire-support and heavy assault missions, at the cost of some of their melee-range combat abilities.
- 4-barrel Beam Cannon
- A variation of the beam cannon pack that distributes the power of each shot between four barrels per cannon. Less powerful then the single barrel variety it is still comparable to the beam rifle in power and has a greater rate of fire. It is favored in roles that require laying down a field of covering fire.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Javelin Cannon is equipped with two beam sabers.
The base RGM-122 Javelin was first deployed sometime before UC 0133, likely UC 0122 if the trend of designations of past Earth Federation mass production mobile suits is followed. Because the Earth Federation typically designs and deploys variants of their mass production suits at the same time as the base unit is deployed it can be reasonably assumed that the RGM-122C Javelin Cannon was first deployed within a few years of the base Javelin's deployment.
The RGM-122C Javelin Cannon would remain in Earth Federation service up to the year UC 0153 where they would be used in the war against the Zanscare Empire.