The RGM-79[G] GM Sniper is a mass-produced ground long-range mobile suit, and is a variant to the RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Type. The unit is featured in the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Befitting its name, the GM Sniper is a RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Type modified for long range combat. The GM Snipers aren't seen with the various hand-carried standard weapons that a GM Ground Type has, and is replaced with a single Long Range Beam Rifle. The rifle is meant for long range combat, but its power is too much for the GM Sniper's generator alone, so the gun is connected to a larger, more powerful generator by thick wires.
- BLASH XBR-X-79YK Long-Range Beam Rifle
- The GM Sniper carries a long-range beam rifle mounted with a high-powered scope, allowing the pilot to hit distant targets with pinpoint accuracy. But the energy required to fire was too much for the GM's power generator to produce, and the rifle was connected via cable to an external power supply and cooling system on a support vehicle.
- However it can still fire without aid of an external generator though it would require the GM to power it's e-cap for one minute and it can only fire two mid range shots per charge.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The GM Sniper has two beam sabers, one stored in each lower leg in an internal recharging rack. Once removed and activated, operating time is limited to one minute at normal plasma temperature and saber length. Can be replaced and recharged via leg sub-generator, with a full recharge taking 15 minutes. Typical plasma blade runs at 250,000 degrees Celsius, with a normal blade length of 12 meters +/- 0.5 meters.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on either forearm, the Federation small shield is used by all GUNDAM and GM ground type mobile suits. It is capable of deflecting most incoming ballistic projectiles and some explosive warheads. Mount latch and joint/pivot mount position retracted for protection or extended for slashing or punching attacks. Can be thrust into the ground and used as an elevated weapon firing position. Features include top carrying handle and shield claw.
At least three RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Types of the Kojima Battalion were outfitted as GM Snipers and were instrumental in the destruction of Zeon's experimental mobile armor Apsalus III and Shiro Amada's RX-79［G］Ez-8 Gundam Ez8 during the One Year War.