The RGM-79ARA (RGM-79X-PT) GM Juggler first appeared in the video game SD Gundam: G Generation Gather Beat. Having witnessed the all-range attack of Principality of Zeon's Newtype-use Mobile Armors, Earth Federation Forces began their own development of weapons with said capabilities. The GM Juggler represents an early attempt by creating an imitation of the enemy's guided remote attacks with existing machines.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Since the Earth Federation was far behind in Newtype research and had little understanding of psycommu system technology, they had to figure out by themselves how the system works, initially with technologies they were utterly familiar with. A modified TGM-79 GM Trainer (Since it is a two-seater) was used as the base machine, and since a RB-79 Ball unit was so small and inexpensive, it was used in some rather odd situations including this one, as the laser-based remote attack units of the GM Juggler. Two modified Ball, armed with 2 beam rifles each, are mounted on the Juggler`s shoulders. Since the mobile suit would have to limit its movement when the remote units are in operation to reduce interference between one another, additional armors were added to improve its battlefield survivability. The remote units were manually-controlled by one of the crew, meaning that it doesn't really require a Newtype to operate the GM Juggler.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Remote Controlled Ball Unit
- The Gm Juggler can carries two modified RB-79 Balls on its shoulder, and controlling them through laser remote. In combat, the gunner of the GM Juggler manually controls these units, performing a makeshift imitation of the all-range attack with the Balls' beam rifles. However, the fighting strength of its manually controlled all-range attack is far from satisfactory, while making the mechanical balance of the base machine extremely poor.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The GM Juggler keeps the same model of shell-firing weapon used by the RGM-79 GM, its base machine. The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, MS handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
It turned out to be fraught with difficulties even just to imitate the psycommu system- the manually-controlled all-range attack never performed satisfactorily- and the added bulk of the remote attack units contributed to the excessive topweight and consequently poor mechanical balance of the GM Juggler. Repeated improvements were made in an effort to overcome these flaws, and this difficult development process continues until the end of the One Year War without producing a viable overall result. With the latest psycommu technology falling into Federation hands by the end of the war, the GM Juggler was no longer needed, leading to an end of its development.