RGM-79C GM Type C
|Developed from||RGM-79(E) GM Early Type|
|First Seen||December, 0079 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Earth Federation Forces|
|Operator||Earth Federation Forces|
|Known Pilots||South Burning|
|Overall Height||18.5 meters60.696 ft |
|Head Height||18.0 meters59.055 ft |
|Max Weight||58.8 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||41.2 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||1250 kW1,676.278 hp|
|Sensor Range||6300 meters20,669.291 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Titanium Alloy/Ceramic Composite|
|Max Acceleration||0.98 G|
|180° Turning Time||1.6 s1,600 ms|
|Rocket Thrusters||68000 kg149,914.296 lb |
The RGM-79C GM Type C (aka GM Kai) is an improved version of one of the Earth Federation's first mass production mobile suit, the RGM-79(E) GM Early Type. It first appeared in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
This improved model was dubbed the RGM-79C GM Kai, and was similar to the original GM in its armaments and abilities, as they both shared the 90mm machine gun and the Hyper Bazooka. The C-Type did feature greatly improved thrust and its maneuverability was greatly improved too.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The RGM-79C GM Kai is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack in the left side of the backpack. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm Machine Gun
- The 90mm machine gun is one of several optional ranged armaments that the Earth Federation regularly equipped their GM mobile suits with. Though not as powerful as the beam spray gun, the 90mm machine gun has greater range. And unlike the beam spray gun which has a very limited number of shots and must be recharged using special facilities, the fact that the machine gun can be reloaded in the field and has a greater ammo capacity allows a pilot to be less conservative with ammunition. Also the 90mm machine gun is cheaper to produce, making it a cost effective weapon. The downside to using the 90mm machine gun goes back to the power issue. Mobile suits are heavily armored and at great range can even stop the armor piercing rounds of mobile suit machine guns. Often bullets from a mobile suit machine gun has been seen penetrating the torso armor of an enemy mobile suit, only to stop short of damaging the reactor or killing the pilot and the enemy can still fight. The 90mm machine gun is comparable to the 100mm machine gun. The 90mm machine gun holds less ammunition per clip but has more punch.
- 360mm Hyper Bazooka
- Similar to the Zaku's Bazooka, the Hyper Bazooka was a heavy weapon used by the GM. Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. While very powerful the Hyper Bazooka had a slow rate of fire and fairly little of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless.
After the end of the One Year War, the Federation forces began a massive restructuring and rebuilding of its military strength. Finally recognizing that mobile suit warfare was here to stay they set about improving on their own mass-produced Mobile Suit the RGM-79 GM. The RGM-79C GM Kai unit became the standard production model for front-line units, gradually phasing out the older GM. Ultimately, because the GM Kai's unoriginality, and its only mildly improved performance over its predecessor, the Earth Federation would design and build many other GM descendants, such as the RGM-79N GM Custom and RGM-79Q GM Quel. However none of these designs proved to possess what the Earth Federation was looking for and the RGM-79C GM Kai would remain the mainstay unit of the Earth Federation until the development of the RMS-179/RGM-79R GM II and the RMS-106 Hizack.