Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79C Powered GM is a RGM-79C GM Type C that has been modified with advanced parts in order to test their functionality for use in future advanced mobile suits. Many of its new components are used in the form of a backpack system that incorporates a more powerful Minovsky-type ultracompact fusion reactor and more powerful thrusters. This new equipment granted the Powered GM significantly greater mobility. Its leaping height and speed greatly surpassed that of the MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type, and it has greater mobility when in midair. Because of the stress the mobile suit's legs receives when landing from such heights, heights greater than the GM Kai was originally intended to go, the Powered GM was outfitted with new shock absorbers in the knees.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. This weapon is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The RGM-79C Powered GM is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack in the left side of the backpack.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun that is based on older technologies, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but it is a weapon that can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. It features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 360mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. Powered GM could optionally mount a shield on either of its forearms.
The RGM-79C Powered GM was built in the year U.C. 0083 and at least two units were known to exist and stationed at Federation's Torrington Base in Australia where one of them was assigned to test pilot Dick Allen. The Powered GM would be tested in mock battles against multiple MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type for data gathering purposes, typically ending in victory without Allen having pushed the machine to its limits. On October 13 U.C. 0083, the Torrington Base was attacked by members of the Delaz Fleet. Both Powered GMs would be sortied against the enemy mobile suits, with Allen's unit was assigned as a member of one of the teams to pursue the stolen Gundam GP02. However, Allen's Powered GM was ambushed and destroyed by Adamski's Dom Tropen. Another damaged Powered GM was seen at the devastated Torrington Base. After the raid, the test data of the Powered GMs were mostly lost.