The RGM-79FC Striker Custom is a variant of the RGM-79FP GM Striker. It was first featured in Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield and later in the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Katana. It is piloted by Ittou Tsurugi.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Striker Custom is a special mobile suit developed from the aging GM Series as a successor to the GM Striker. Because of its 'peakiness,' that machine was a mobile suit that few pilots could handle. It has the head of a Gundam and the body of a GM Striker. The unit has specialized arms and a new backpack used to store its weapons, as well as increasing the suit's performance. The unit also has specialized weaponry like the Knuckle Daggers, Burst Knuckles, and Spark Knuckles, which were all used for close combat. Also, the unit is equipped with a shield for defense against incoming missiles.
As shown by this equipment, the Striker Custom is not designed for Long Ranged Combat. However, the unit's strength and power are compared with the Titans' RX-121 Gundam TR-1 Hazel.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- The Vulcan guns were 60mm gatling guns stored on the sides of the Striker Custom's head. Having the greatest rate of fire of all the Striker Custom's weapons these are primarily used to ward off advancing enemies, shoot down missiles, or hit other fast moving targets. They also made good use as an anti-aircraft and anti-personnel weapons. The Vulcan guns however had a hard time piercing heavy armor (though they had shown the ability to do severe damage to mobile suits if fired at point-blank range) and thus were not often used against larger, more heavily armored foes.
- Beam Saber
- Standard equipment of most Federation Mobile Suit. Striker Custom has two beam sabers, stored on the backpack. The beam sabers use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. The particles for the beam sabers are stored by E-cap in the hilt of the saber, which is recharged from the Striker Custom's reactor when the saber is returned to its socket. Once activated, beam sabers do not rely on the mobile suit's reactor and can be thrown or discarded as decoys. The beam saber is most often used for close range combat or as an emergency weapon once all other ammunition has been depleted.
- Custom Beam Saber
- Other than two standard Beam Sabers, the Striker Custom is also armed with two Custom Beam Sabers. The hilts of these beam sabers are bigger than normal, and are capable of emitting a much longer and more powerful saber that can easily cut through several mobile suits in a single swing. These Custom Beam Sabers also could be used in a claw-like fashion, both are mounted on the forearm.
- Spark Knuckle
- The unique close combat armament of the Striker Custom. The Spark Knuckle is a hand held electrifying weapon located on the hands of the mobile suit. This is used for close combat.
- Burst Knuckle
- The Burst Knuckles were the suit's specialized explosive mines, detonated by punching impact.
- Knuckle Dagger
- The Knuckle Daggers are two custom solid knife used by the Striker Custom for close-quarter combat. These daggers do not need power from the suit, can be thrown, and are capable of piercing the joints and under-armored sections of Zeon mobile suits.
- Custom Spike Shield
- "Demon Blade" AI System
- The "Demon Blade" AI System is incorporated into the head of the Strike Custom. Created as part of a Cyber Newtype project under Kanesada Tsurugi, it is based on the EEG waves of Ittou Tsurugi, who showed indications of being a Newtype. It was developed for the purpose of awakening Newtypes. This system emits a dust-like, ultra-vibrating material which reproduces the secrets of Ittou's Iado sword technique.
Only three Striker Customs units have been put into service by the Federation, with each assigned to different pilots of the special corps Barghest.