The RGM-79FD Armored GM is a Mobile suit that first appeared in Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front and later the Mobile Suit Gundam - Zeon MS Boys: The War of Independence manga series.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of the last in the line of the many GM variants seen in the One Year War, the RGM-79FD Armored GM was second to none in the class of speed. The huge leg-mounted air intakes, four powerful thruster nozzles in the backpack, and bank of twin thrusters mounted in each leg were enough to propel the Armored GM at fantastic speeds, putting it on a level with the RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam and the Zeon’s MS-09B Dom. There are several similarities in design and performance with Gundam Mudrock and the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II. The Armored GM shares the same leg-mounted thrusters as the GM Sniper ll, and the backpack shares several differences that might signify a scaled-down version of the Gundam Mudrock’s backpack. The question of whether or not the Armored GM is a scaled down version of either suit, or a conglomeration of each suit’s best parts remains unanswered. In either case, the Armored GM saw a very limited production run.
- Beam Saber
- The Armored GM is equipped with a beam saber stored on the right side of the backpack. Powered by a rechargeable E-Cap, it uses Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material not treated with anti-beam coating.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- NF GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces during OYW, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- The Beam Spray Gun is essentially a scaled-down beam rifle, it fires a less powerful but more scattered shot. As a result of this, the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. It has been shown to be able to penetrate the armor of a Rick Dom - one of the most heavily armored mobile suits of the One Year War.
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- NFHI*EPHB-type.Doc-04/380mm Hyper Bazooka
- The ground-type hyper bazooka fires a 380x1900 millimeter HEDP rocket at ranges up to 2.5 kilometers. It is loaded with a 5-round box magazine with one round pre-loaded into the chamber.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on either forearm, this is the same shield as used by the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. It is capable of deflecting most incoming ballistic projectiles and some explosive warheads. Mount latch and joint/pivot mount position retracted for protection or extended for slashing or punching attacks. Can be thrust into the ground and used as an elevated weapon firing position. Features include top carrying handle and shield claw.
- Spike Shield
- A shield originally developed for the GM Striker, this defensive armament can also be used as a striking weapon thanks to the two pile bunkers mounted at the tip.
The Armored GM was not deployed until very late in the One Year War, and was designed primarily as a ground combat mobile suit. Thus, the capabilities offered by the units were toned down in favor of the more versatile and cheaper RGM-79. One of the few recorded instances of the Armored GM being fielded was January 1, UC 0080, in the vast stretches of the deserts of North Africa. The Midnight Fenrir Corps, answering a distress call from several HT-01B Magella Attack tanks attached to Number 11 Supply Corps, fought off several waves of attacks by standard GMs, supplemented by a squad of the new Armored GMs.
|Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories Series Original Mechanics|
RGM-79BD-0 Blue Destiny Unit 0 | RGM-79DO GM Dominance | RGM-79DO［AQ］ GM Dominance (Underwater Equipment) | RGM-79FD Armored GM | RX-78XX Gundam Pixy | RX-79［G］ SW Slave Wraith | RX-79［G］WR Full Armor Slave Wraith | RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1 | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | RX-80PR-2 Pale Rider Cavalry | RX-80PR-3 Pale Rider Dullahan
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
SCV-73 Blanc Rival | SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type | MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type | MS-08TX Efreet | MS-08TX(EXAM) Efreet Custom | MS-09F Dom Funf | MS-14G Gelgoog Ground Type | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | YMS-06Z Psycommu Early Test Type Zaku
| Mobile Armour|
| Mobile Suit|