Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Desert GM could be considered the Federation's response to Zeon's MS-06D Zaku Desert Type. As this GM was based off the frame of the RGM-79F Land Combat Type GM, they strangely carry the same model number. The Desert GM is equipped with coated joints and extra intake valves to better deal with the intense heat and dust of the desert. It also features reactive armor mounted on several parts. Similar to the Land Combat Type, the Desert GM is also armed with a beam saber, railcannon and an optional beam spray gun.
- Beam Saber
- The Beam Saber emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The termination of the I-field along a solid contact surface allows the plasma to eat away at the offending material until the I-field reestablishes itself, allowing the weapon to "cut" through almost any target. The Desert GM is equipped with one beam saber stored in a backpack recharge rack.
- NF GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers.
- Beam Spray Gun
- The beam spray gun was essentially the Gundam's beam rifle in a smaller weaker form. The beam spray gun has a smaller focusing coil which results in a less powerful, and a more scattered shot. As a result of this the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. The Desert GM carries a custom beam spray gun, which is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- Instead of a standard Bazooka that usually come with variations of the GM, the Desert GM mounts a special Railcannon, a weapon which uses electromagnetic forces, rather than gunpowder, to fire solid projectiles at very high velocities.
- 4-tube Missile Launcher
- Unlike the model used by the Land Combat Type GM, this version of Railcannon includes an underslung 4-tube Missile Launcher, which would be used for long to mid-range bombardment.
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
It was mostly deployed in the Middle East and Northern Africa in the One Year War.