Technology & Combat Characteristics
Over the course of the One Year War, the Federation created variations of the GM Sniper Custom to be outfitted for specific roles. The GM Sniper Custom was revamped into several designs, one of them being the RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom. The GM Guard Custom is designed to protect the main battleship. The GM Guard Custom retains the "face guard" visor over its standard sensors. GM Guard Custom also uses a box beam saber like the one used by GM Sniper Custom but adds a pair of beam daggers and vulcan guns on the head and shoulder. The most notable feature is its large Guardian Shield, used for defense. However, the Guardian Shield is very heavy, making the max gross weight of the GM Guard Custom over 90 tons (compared to GM Sniper Custom's 75.3 tons) and thus lacking maneuverability. As such, the GM Guard Custom is often seen working in conjunction with the RGM-79KC GM Interceptor Custom.
- Vulcan Guns
- A standard armament of Earth Federation Forces' MS, the GM Guard Custom mounts four of these weapon, two on its head and two on its shoulders. These shell firing vulcans have a high rate of fire, but they can't damage the thick armor of MS. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Box Beam Saber
- As with most other EFF mobile suits, the GM Interceptor Custom was armed with a single beam saber (attached to the MS's arm) for close combat. The beam saber uses Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. This beam saber could be mounted or fixed on a forearm besides being hand-carried.
- Beam Dagger
- A weapon which is originated with the RX-78XX Gundam Pixie, a beam dagger works in the same principle with beam sabers, though adjusted to have a shorter blade. They can also be used as throwing weapons. The GM Guard Custom carries two beam daggers.
- Beam Spray Gun
- Beam spray guns are essentially beam rifles in a smaller, weaker form. They have a smaller focusing coil which results in a less powerful, and a more scattered shot. As a result, beam spray guns are less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. GM Guard Custom can hold two EM-2 beam spray guns on its waist.
- Guardian Shield
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many MS, the shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a MS. The GM Guard Custom's giant Guardian Shield can cover most of the MS. In addition, it has five layers of beam coating, making it very effective against beam weapons.
- Vulcan Guns
- Two ports are opened on the front of the shield, which allows the Guardian Shield to possess minor offensive capability in the form of two built-in vulcan guns.
During the One Year War, after the destruction of Solomon a GM Guard Custom along with a GM Sniper Custom, a GM Interceptor Custom and several GM units pursued Dozle Zabi's Gwazine-class until they were intercepted by Zaku IIs and Rick Doms.
Notes & Trivia
- The description of the GM Guard Custom was first mentioned in the GM Sniper Custom MSV profile. It is not until the release of MSV-R that this mobile suit became it's own variant.