|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Variations; if you are looking for the article on RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom featured in Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Guard Custom is a minor change variation of the GM Sniper Custom developed by the Earth Federation during the final stages of the One Year War. It has enhanced defensive capabilities as it was developed primarily to defend allied units, and to guard the fleet as well as various military facilities. Thanks to the use of the GM Sniper Custom as the base machine, the GM Guard Custom is able to maintain high mobility yet have high defensive abilities thanks to its huge shield - the "Guardian Shield". During combat, a movable visor on the head would be lowered, and it is equipped with composite sensor system. The high performance of the GM Guard Custom resulted in it being difficult to pilot, thus it is mainly piloted by skilled mobile suit pilots. This also contributed to many of the GM Guard Customs surviving the war.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of Earth Federation Forces' MS, the GM Guard Custom mounts four of these weapon, two on its head and two on its shoulders. These shell firing vulcans have a high rate of fire, but can't damage the armor of MS due to their low power. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small,lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc. The head-mounted vulcan guns are usable only when the movable visor on the head is lowered.
- Box Beam Saber
- A beam saber is a small cylindrical device powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor, it emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through any material not treated with anti-beam coating. A box beam saber is where the beam saber is mounted in a box-shaped device and attached to either of a mobile suit's forearms. This allows the beam saber to be deployed directly, but it can also be removed from the box device and handheld when needed.
- Beam Dagger
- A beam dagger is essentially a small beam saber with a much shorter beam blade. The GM Guard Custom can carry two of this close combat weapon.
- E-2 Beam Spray Gun
- A redesigned version of the RGM-79 GM's beam spray gun, the GM Guard Custom can carry a pair of E-2 beam spray guns that are stored on the side armor when not in use. Beam spray guns are essentially beam rifles in a smaller, weaker form, and fires a less powerful but more scattered shot. As a result, beam spray guns are less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect.
- Guardian Shield
- A characteristic custom armament created for the GM Guard Custom, the guardian shield is a huge shield that consisted of five layers made of four different metallic alloys. This design is meant to protect against penetration by and impact from physical projectiles. The shield also has anti-beam coating on its surface to defend against beam weaponry. The effectiveness of this shield can be seen by the high number of GM Guard Customs that survived the war.
- Vulcan Gun
- Two vulcan guns are mounted in the shield, with their barrels exposed on the shield's front side. They allow the GM Guard Custom to attack its enemies while hiding behind the guardian shield.
During the One Year War, after the destruction of Solomon a GM Guard Custom along with a RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom, a RGM-79KC GM Interceptor Custom and several GM units pursued Dozle Zabi's Gwazine-class until they were intercepted by Zaku IIs and Rick Doms.
Notes & Trivia
- The description of the GM Guard Custom was first mentioned in the GM Sniper Custom MSV profile. It is not until the release of MSV-R that this mobile suit became it's own variant.