Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79N GM Custom is a variation of the famous RGM series developed by the Earth Federation. It's a production model built after the end of the One Year War. Originally planned as a successor unit to replace the existing mass-production models, the GM Custom is equipped with a high-output generator and features improved thrusters and auxiliaries. Along with other adjustments, such as amplified actuators for faster limb response and additional verniers for better altitude control, the GM Custom possesses vastly superior overall performance and balance when compared to other mass-produced machines.
As a part of the "Augusta series" high-performance MS built after the war, the GM Custom was designed and manufactured using the data and technology, and even spare parts obtained from the development of Gundam-type mobile suits, such as the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex" (where certain design features are evident on the GM Custom). Thus, even among the other high-spec MS of the Augusta series, the GM Custom is still considered as one of the best units of the line. Despite having output and mobility rivaling that of a Gundam-type MS and being arguably the highest performing GM unit variant during the Delaz Conflict, there is, in fact, nothing that the GM Custom truly excels at, other than being a very balanced general-purpose MS. According to Kou Uraki, the Mobile Suit was "remarkable for being unremarkable".
Due to its construction complexity and high production cost ratios, the GM Custom was not equipped with Beam weapons (despite being capable of doing so due to its high generator output) and its mass-production plans never left the draft stage. As a result, only a limited number of GM Customs were produced and these actual deployment units were assigned only to "ace" class pilots and/or spec-ops teams.
After the events of the Delaz Conflict, the Augusta Base development team, along with their projects, were drafted under the management of the newly established Titans elite unit. Impressed with the GM Custom's performance, the Titans acquired the production line and streamlined the GM Custom's design to be simpler and better suited for mass-production. And thus marks the end of the production life the of GM Custom, and the new RGM-79Q GM Quel is born. This new model would serve as the Titans' mainstay mobile suit until it too was replaced by the RMS-106 Hizack.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the Earth Federation Forces' RGM series of mobile suits is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power, however, they are effective at close range and are commonly employed to deter an enemy mobile suit from getting too close. They are also ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- XB-G-1019H Beam Saber
- The standard armament for melee combat for Earth Federation mobile suits is the beam saber. It is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and is capable of cutting through any metal alloy not treated with anti-beam coating. The RGM-79N GM Custom carries the "Augusta MS series" type beam saber, stored on the right side of the backpack.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The main weapon of the GM Custom, the GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. Developed after the One Year War, it features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties. The ammunition is stored in spare clips that can be replaced when they are used up.
- HFW-GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits, the beam rifle fires a particle beam that can penetrate any armor not treated with specific counter-measures. This is the same model as used by the GM II and Nemo, the beam rifle has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 360mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-00057 Shield
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and is treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
The GM Custom first saw active service during the events of the Delaz Conflict in U.C.0083. Three units were assigned aboard the Pegasus-class assault carrier Albion during its mission to recover the stolen RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis". These units were also used in the subsequent battles against Zeon remnants fleets led by Aiguille Delaz and Cima Garahau, where one unit, piloted by Lt. South Burning, was lost. In U.C.0087, several surviving machines were seen repossessed by the AEUG and were used in their struggles against the Titans and Axis Zeon during the Gryps Conflict. These units, featured a green and white color scheme.
Notes and Trivia
|Anaheim Laboratory Log Mechanics|
MSA-005X-1 Methuss X-1 | MSA-005X-2 Methuss X-2 | MSA-005X-3 Methuss X-3 | MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III | RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79N GM Custom | RMS-179 GM II
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
FXA-08R-X1 Proto Mega Rider
RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-80PR-4 Pale Rider DII
MS-09RSS Dowas Custom | MS-14J ReGelgu | MS-17 Galbaldy α | MS-17R Galbaldy α High Mobility Type | MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom