RGM-79N RGM-79N GM Custom
|Developed from||RGM-79C GM Kai|
|First Seen||0083 U.C.|
|Last Seen||0087 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Earth Federation Forces|
|Operator||Earth Federation Forces|
|Known Pilots||South Burning|
|Overall Height||19.0 meters62.336 ft |
|Head Height||18.0 meters59.055 ft |
|Max Weight||57.6 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||42.0 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||1420 kW1,904.251 hp|
|Sensor Range||6000 meters19,685.039 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in standard cockpit in torso)|
|Max Acceleration||1.17 G|
|180° Turning Time||1.5 s1,500 ms|
|Rocket Thrusters||2 x 30000 kg66,138.66 lb |
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79N GM Custom was equipped with many verniers, which gave it agility almost on par with the RX-78-2 Gundam. It also carried a high-output generator, which enabled the use of beam weaponry. Due to its high cost, however, only a few units were built. In order to decrease cost the GM Custom typically was only equipped with a bullpup machine gun, which had no where near the power of a beam rifle but was much cheaper to produce.
Despite being an improvement over the RGM-79C GM Kai there was really nothing that made the GM Custom standout as a mobile suit.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the Earth Federation Forces' RGM series of mobile suits is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power. Because of their low caliber the weapons won't damage a mobile suit's armor by much, though it is still commonly employed as a tactic to keep an enemy mobile suit from getting too close. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- XB-G-1019H Beam Saber
- The standard armament for melee combat for Earth Federation mobile suits is the beam saber. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and is capable of cutting through any metal alloy. The only way to block a beam saber is to counter with another beam saber or to use armor that has been treated with an anti-beam coating. The RGM-79N GM Custom mounts one in a recharge rack in the backpack behind the right shoulder.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The main weapon of the GM Custom. The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun that is based on older technologies, making it a weapon that can be cheaply produced and can be used by just about any mobile suit. The weapon has no where near the power of a beam rifle, thus its attacks can be stopped by a healthy layer of armor. The bullets is stored on magazines that can be replaced when they are used up.
- HFW-GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very little. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one, stored on the hip of the GM Custom.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-00057 Shield
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. A shield can be equipped to either arm of the GM Custom in order to increase defense against both beam and physical attacks.
During its military reconstruction following the One Year War, the Earth Federation Forces built a high-performance variant of its standard RGM-79C GM Kai for highly-skilled ace pilots. This new mobile suit, based on the RGM-79C GM Kai and the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex" from the One Year War, was the RGM-79N GM Custom. Three units were stationed aboard the Albion during the pursuit of RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis" and subsequent battles against the Delaz Fleet. Surviving units were repossessed by the AEUG and repainted so the torso, part of the head, and feet green to identify them from those in use by the Earth Federation Forces. The design would be mass-produced by the Titans special forces in the form of the RGM-79Q GM Quel.